Ever done any acoustic insulating?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Rob Gillespie, Jan 7, 2004.

1. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

My flat rennovation is nearing completion (I have a guy coming to quote me for a full bathroom job this weekend). It's a first floor maisonette, built in the mid 60s. Floor is solid conrete however I can hear TV and even some conversation from downstairs. Not especially clear or intrusively loud, but noticeable when it's quiet in my bit.

I think the problem is been exacerbated at the moment because there's nothing on my floor - just the bare concrete - and I also have no furniture in. I'm hoping that once the carpet is down the sounds will be lower.

I'm the sort of person that finds extraneous sound really annoying so I've been wondering about buying some proper acoustic underlay instead of the normal stuff you get from the carpet shop. I also tend to play a lot background music myself (fairly quiet) and of course my HT stuff (not so quiet) so I'm thinking about the other people too. I don't think I'm going to be able to get away with using the Boston VR2000 sub though [​IMG]

There's some widely-used stuff I've found out about called Acoustilay, which comes in 1m sq. slabs (each weighing a hefty 15kg) and is supposed to reduce airborne noise by 10db and impact (footfall) noise by even more. I don't think this will cure the problem completely because some of the sound will be coming up the walls, but it should make a good improvement if what I'm reading is correct. Cost for my lounge (17' by 12') would be around £350 and I can do virtually the whole pad for around £800.

Anyone got any advice or experience on this kind of thing? Bear in mind that a full acoustic isolation job is not an option here (hey, I have to live there) and nor is adding a false floor. I just want to do what I can without having to borrow money to pay for it, reducing the room size or having any serious work done on the place.

2. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

Buy an oscillating fan. The noise from it will drown out any ambient noises from downstairs. It is soothing white noise and will be much cheaper.

Only half-kidding. [​IMG] Worked for me in the college dorms..

3. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

4. chris_everett

chris_everett Second Unit

Are you sure the noise is coming through the floor? Make sure there's not an air "leak" allowing sound through, before you spend a bunch of money on the floor. I had the same effect in my old apartment, and it was all sound coming up through the walls. If it is the floor, throwing down several layers of different materials will help isolate the room. Make sure you cover all of the floor, and don't leave any openings, and that you overlap seams in material. Look at the HT construtions and interiors for more advise, also check out www.auralex.com, they make accoustic products but they also have a lot of advise and other resources. (Or google "Accoustic isolation")

5. Lee L

Lee L Supporting Actor

Yep, defintely check and caulk any possible openings. I've had to insulate walls in lawyers and psychiatrists offices and in radio stations and the wall can be 12 inches thick and filled with insulation but one tiny, nearly invisible gap where the wall meets the window or something and it is almost like a microphone.