Ever distracted by widescreen?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ric Easton, Jul 19, 2004.

1. Ric Easton

Ric Easton Cinematographer

or... "How TV has distracted me from enjoying movies!"

And I'm not talking about those black bars, either! I was watching "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" in all its widescreen glory (Its wider than 2.35:1) and found myself getting distracted. They were doing such a great job at filling and using the widescreen frame that I kept imagining how much the film would have been butchered when shown on regular 3x4 TV.

I'd be thinking, "Well two of those guys wouldn't be in that shot...That guy would be talking to an empty space, etc..." I know that the movie should be good enough to keep from wandering down this darkened recess of my mind, but I still can't stop thinking that the first time someone sees "Ghostbusters" in widescreen, they'll say "Hey, there are four of them!"

Ric

2. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    When I recieved my Around the World in 80 Days DVD, I spent the first viewing just staring at the fantastic color and the 2.20:1 framing that my VHS tapes lacked.

Also, when I saw Moulin Rouge! for the first time, one of the first things I thought of was that there was NO way the movie would work after being converted from 2.35:1 to 1.33:1. I was right. The fullscreen version is unwatchable... I guess that's what filmmakers get for using every inch of the Panavision frame.

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

lol, i do this all the time.

i'll see some shot and think to myself, "boy, i'm glad i'm not just seeing two noses".

then, i'll have to ask my friend, "what did he just say?" -- because i was too busy thinking to myself how cool widescreen is.

[​IMG]

ps, i do this with all other sorts of stuff as well.

1. "boy, i'm glad they got the continuity right"
    2. "wow, that's a wonderfully composed shot"
    3. "hey, i think i saw the boom mike"
    4. "hmm....i wonder why they choose that costume"

blah, blah, blah....

4. jeff peterson

jeff peterson Supporting Actor

You guys should watch the movie twice, first for enjoyment, then for the technical aspects.

5. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    This occurred to me during the scene in "Harry Potter & the Prisoner of Azkaban" during the scene where Harry and Prof. Lupin are talking on the covered bridge. At one point, both are at extreme opposite sides of the 2.35 frame.

6. Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk Screenwriter

I just thought about this watching the new Blazing Saddles disc. When Bart sneaks up on Taggert (sp?) with the shovel, the shot is much funnier in 2.35:1 since you can see him coming. This often occurs to me while watching widescreen, but not to the point of distraction.

7. Lynda-Marie

Lynda-Marie Supporting Actor

What I would like to know is if the widescreen cuts are so much better then why can't they get the film to fill up the screen and still be wide screen? I don't see any point in finally having the 27" boob tube of my dreams if I have to watch a widescreen movie on only 1/2 of the screen. It's gotten to the point [perhaps it is because I may not have the best taste in movies in the world] that I started calling widescreen "Spot on the wall" format, because I am not really seeing anything superior or any real "vision" in the widescreen prints.

Down with the black bars, I say! [​IMG]

Considering the technology we have nowadays, there is no excuse for not being able to use the full 27" of screen and still preserve the original vision/widescreen.

8. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

Well in many cases (Harry Potter for example) films are shot in Super35, so if characters are on extreme ends of the screen, they may still be in the fullscreen version.

9. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

I wish I could remember the movie, but there was a movie (an old B&W) on Mystery Science Theater 3000 where the P&S process was OBVIOUSLY a hack job where they just left the camera in the middle of the scene and never panned back and forth between the action. There was one scene where the two guys must have been on either side of the frame and were both COMPLETELY cut out of the P&S job. You heard their voices and Crowe kept looking from side to side and saying "Who's talking??" LOL [​IMG]

10. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

[​IMG]

Prince of Space... which was actually shot in 2.35:1 anamorphic (Shintoscope)!

11. Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk Screenwriter

[​IMG]

12. Ric Easton

Um... Yer kidding, right? They are two distinctly different shapes. But, you knew that, right? Of course they could fill up your empty space with trivia, baseball scores and weather reports!

13. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

How else do you get a 2.35:1 image to fit in a 1.33:1 frame? You either crop it to fit, squeeze it, or you letterbox it.

It's like fitting a fishing pole in a Honda Civic's trunk.

14. PaulP

PaulP Producer

How is that possible, do you think? Widescreen isn't "better" - it's correct. Any alteration to the film's original aspect ratio, be it extreme widescreen (as in "Ben Hur") or standard-TV-sized (such as any film made before mid-1950s, or any TV shows made before very late 90s), is unforgivable. Art should not be contorted to your display capabilities. When people buy paintings, they have them framed, right - they don't go out and buy a frame, then purchase a painting they like, and cut off the sides, because it doesn't fit in the frame they bought.

15. Harold Wazzu

Harold Wazzu Supporting Actor

[​IMG]

You obviously know nothing about movies and how they are filmed. I suggest you look up the term ORIGINAL ASPECT RATIO

16. Ric Easton

Oops, look what I started with my funny little observation...

Just when I think we've come so far, we still have miles to go.

btw...

I haven't heard one before. I like it and will probably use it! [​IMG]

17. Todd H

Todd H Go Dawgs!

Todd

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Please tell me this is a joke...

18. Haggai

Haggai Producer

One of the first times I noticed this sort of thing was a few years ago, when I saw Carnal Knowledge on DVD. I had just recently learned the ins and outs of aspect ratios. That DVD has the original 2.35:1 on one side, pan and scan on the other. In the first scene where Art Garfunkel meets Candice Bergen, at a party, you see them talking to each other while Jack Nicholson hangs back in a doorway, in the background and on the other side of the screen. I thought, "wow, nice shot, you can see Jack observing them back there, he must be cut out completely on the P&S." I flipped the disc over later to check, and of course that's what happened in the fool screen version.

19. Lars Vermundsberget

Lars Vermundsberget Supporting Actor

You can have the picture squeezed (or stretched) so you can fill your screen with really tall and thin people. Otherwise, this is nonsense. If the picture has a different shape compared to the screen you're showing it on, some sort of compromise will have to be made. This is not a very difficult concept. Considering the options, the so called "black bars" are the lesser evil.

20. Vincent_P

Vincent_P Screenwriter

The only time "widescreen" bothers me on home video is when a shot is composed with important picture information on the extreme edges of the frame, and some of that info is matted off by overscan.

DEATH TO OVERSCAN!!!

Vincent