Eventually there's got to be a diminshed returns on digital formats

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DarrylWHarrisJr, Oct 12, 2001.

1. DarrylWHarrisJr

DarrylWHarrisJr Stunt Coordinator

Ok I love the DVD for and the CD format (I still can't believe it took them over 15 years to get the CD format right; ie 20/24bit digital remastering), but anyways these 5 inch discs seems to be the way to go for home entertainment and I know there are technologies currently being worked on to pack more information in a 5 inch disc space. But with all the bits/kHz's wouldn't there eventually be a diminished returns for digital medium? I dream of the day where I can buy one machine that will equally play my format at the same resolution (meaning my DVD player will play 24bit/96 dvd's but the same machine will play cd's at 16/44.1; I'm looking to a machine that will play software at the same rate - btw I have to seperate machines for cd's and one for dvd's). I mean after so many bits and sample rates, can the pictures/music be anymore resolved? Can a 128-bit/1028k machine be anymore revealing than a 32-bit 512kHz machine?
    I also know studios are doing digital "masters" at 1080p so if there original elements ever go beyond repair, they'd have something as a backup...but is 1080 enough to go beyond that in future formats. You can't upconvert a 1080 digital master to something like 2400 and expect a better, more resolved picture.
    HTF I ask for your opions and ideas. I don't want to keep buying the same movies for the rest of my life! (but of course I will)
    ------------------
    A man never chooses to live...but chooses to make a life.
    http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollect...alias=Darryljr
    http://www.geocities.com/darrylhjr/
    [Edited last by DarrylWHarrisJr on October 12, 2001 at 11:26 PM]

2. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

3. RicP

RicP Screenwriter

4. DarrylWHarrisJr

DarrylWHarrisJr Stunt Coordinator

5. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Wouldn't that be DVD-Audio or SACD?
    I don't think the Audio CD spec allows for anything more than the current bitrates and sampling
    Jeff Kleist