Events you've had first-hand knowledge of - were they accurately reported in media?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MickeS, Aug 23, 2002.

1. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Just curious, after reading a few of the threads discussing news here (most recently the Opie & Anthony thread), if you have been in an event or had knowledge of something that was later reported in the media, and if you felt it was accurately described?

We all know, for example, how full of errors and misunderstandings the mainstream media articles about HT can be. I've been in a few situations that were later reported in the paper, and when reading the article it was as if it was a description of a completely separate but similar event.

Do you have any examples of situations you were in that were later in the media and you just didn't recognize it?

/Mike

2. Tom Rhea

Tom Rhea Second Unit

Someone I worked for was involved in a very serious crime about 2-3 years ago. Every report I saw on local tv and read in the local paper was incredibly accurate with regard to everything I had first hand knowledge about.

3. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

4. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

I generally find that reports pull correct information but don't clarify the context behind the source. For example, citing a $100 gazillion loss from Napster is misleading if it came from an RIAA-funded study. I have no problem if they present that figure side-by-side with a Forrester or EFF-funded study though.

On large events, e.g., 9/11 and presidential elections, I find that the results/reporting gets more accurate with each hour. Otherwise, they are just fueling rumors...

5. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    A couple of years ago someone stole my car from the parking lot of a bar, crashed it into a line of parked vehicles, and fled on foot. It was accurately reported on the cover of the local paper that the driver, who took off like a track star was a black male approximately 6 foot tall (I'm 5'8)..............

6. BooneG

BooneG Stunt Coordinator

About 10 years ago my family owned a bar. (We sold it because of this story.) THe bar was located in a shopping plaza with a grocery store at the south end of the plaza. Our bartender needed to go to said grocery store to get some limes and toilet paper. While she was standing in line 2 people came in and held the place up. While the 2 robbers were behind the counter trying to get the money out of the safe our bartender walked up to the counter and asked what was taking so long.(The customers had no idea they were being held up) One of the robbers turns around and shoots our bartender in the throat at point blank range. They coroner said that she was dead before she hit the floor. The twoo robbers got what they came for a fled.

Every news station in Chicago was on the scene within an hour. (I live about 1/2 an hour from Chicago and this happened during rush hour) They interviewed everyone including me. The case was also profiled on America's Most Wanted. The local newscasts did a good job, but I felt that John Walsh and his team did an excellent job. Two days after the show aired the robbers were caught.

7. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    sadly, I don't think that's the case here. my only experience involved a lawsuit (yes, I'm a lawyer :b ), and the case involved two prominent local companies. after a preliminary hearing, the report in the papers on the hearing wasn't very accurate. to be fair, I suppose that reporting on a lawsuit isn't exactly the easiest thing in the world, given that the lawyers are working their darndest to muddy up everything... [​IMG]