Even the "little" SVS Sub kicks BUTT

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Shawn Sefranek, Dec 18, 2001.

1. Shawn Sefranek

Shawn Sefranek Second Unit

For the last year I've had twin SVS 20-39CS Subs powered by Parasound Mono Amps in my system.
    I don't think I need to go into how GREAT they sound because you've probably heard it a million times from others.
    I put together a relatively small (at first) A/V system for my Brother-in-law and of course I had to recommend SVS for the Sub.
    The budget he gave me to work with only allowed for the purchase of a single 25-31PC.
    I had it shipped to my house because I used my Credit Card for the purchase.
    It arrived yesterday and I unpacked it and did a quick test in my room.
    I disconnected my twin 20-39's and ran the signal line into the 25-31PC.
    HOLY CRAP....Does that sucker put out the BASS for its size!!!!![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    I didn't push it by any means and I even had the door open to my Theater Room that is normally closed for movies.
    I had the beach scene from DTS Saving Private Ryan running and was simply STUNNED.
    I think my Brother-in-law is going to be quite impressed with this sucker when I hook everything up on Saturday.
    If anyone has any doubts that the "little guy" for under 700 bucks can't compete with anything under 1,500-dollars, they are seriously mistaken.
    On the spec sheet it may not go as low as twin 39's or 46's, but lets just say it KICKS ASS !!!!
    Shawn S
    PS.....I got a "Grinch like" ear-to-ear grin at the thought of hooking up all three SVS's for a test, but the better half of me maintained control and I put it safely back in the box. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Shawn,

Thanks for that little comparo. I think it helps others frame performance of two different type subs, which is something we get asked ALOT.

Sometimes I wonder why the 25-31PC isn't our best seller. It takes up less floor space than all but the smallest micro subs, and as you said, it just flat out kicks ass (why do I have a "Cartman" voice in the back of my head when I type that ;^)?? Add in affordable cost, and "throw it in the back seat of your Toyota after your finals are over" portability and it's nearly an unbeatable package.

For someone that wants a cost effective solution from us that is fairly compact, very very powerful and does justice to 22Hz bass (that's pretty damn low) the 25-31PC is it.

Put one up against those ugly REL's and it's a no brainer ;^)

I'd say a sub like that has no business getting any better, ever. But that just wouldn't be like us would it? Hell we might even change the model name some day!

Then again, maybe not.

Ron

3. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

interesting that you mention REL, that is a sub I was considering.

get this. I got the 25-31 CS, I wanted to get the 20, but after looking at the graph on the SVS site, and realizing that MUSIC is my primary concern AND that it is only a couple/few dbs below the 20 at 20Hz, I thought, wow thats no big deal. As I did more research and got advice from the SVS boys, I ended up getting a custom tuned 25-31 that goes flat to 22 Hz, then I got a plate amp from parts express and got a couple different resisiters (per advice from Tom at SVS) to give it a Bass boost of 2-3 db from 24 to below 20, GUESS what with my test disc, it is TOTALLY flat to below 20 Hz!!

All this for about $550

I was origionaly going to buy a REL, but I thought that I would give the SVS a try, and simply send it back if I didn't like it, well, lets just say, I not rushing off to UPS anytime soon.

seriously, I don't know why someone would want more bass, I was playing with some deep stuff with my dad in the room, and he made the comment that he "feels funny", I mentioned that I needed to turn it down, and that I was starting to feel sick to my stomach (honestly), and this comes from a guy who use to run around town with 2 12" drivers reflecting directly off my hatchback lid (back then).

4. GabrielC

GabrielC Stunt Coordinator

All this talk is driving me nuts! I have another two days to wait until I can crack open the box to the 16-46CS waiting at home....

Quick question, if you give a speaker too much power (say 350W RMS on the sub, and you give it 500W), will that blow the sub for sure? In that I mean, how is it possible to have some DVDs like TPM where you'll have to dial down the output on the amp (I'm assuming that means giving it something lower such as 300W), while on other you might want to turn it up because it's too quiet? Or is it a mixture of both output signal to the amp (so I'm guessing TPM would have a stronger signal), and the power ouput (500W) from the amp?

5. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

GabrielC,

Don't overdrive the sub. Just make sure you calibrate correctly and then play it. If you bottom out the sub then you will want to back off on the volume a couple notches.

6. Raine Linton

Raine Linton Stunt Coordinator

UPS sez, my 2039pc is here in town and scheduled for delivery! I can't wait. I chose this one over the 2531pc because I wanted to get as many HZ's out of a sound/audio track as I could, but believe me it was a tough choice! I was like a kid in a candy store at the SVS site...so here I sit...at the window.........waiting.

7. Bob Christensen

Bob Christensen Stunt Coordinator

GabrielC: You are FAR better off running a more powerful amp than needed, and backing off the level, than you are running a lower powered amp full throttle.

8. Lee Bailey

Lee Bailey Second Unit

Lee Bailey
    As the proud owner of a 25-31PC, I can attest to the fact it is all the sub I need! I'm a 99% HT user, and movies never sounded so good when turned up loud!

9. GabrielC

Bryan: Thanks, I fully intend to take care of the sub [​IMG] Trust me, shipping charges for repairs would not make me a happy person! Actually I'm just more curious in general about how things work together. I'm fairly new to speakers and their inner workings.
    Bob: Thanks for the tip, I'll keep that in mind for sure!

10. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Gabriel,
    If you ever have any questions at all about calibration,placement,connections,ect...
    feel free to email me
    [email protected]
    don't worry if the question seems too basic or anything, you should hear some of the stuff I ask my vet,
    TV

11. GabrielC

Thanks for the offer Tom! Just shot an e-mail your way actually, now back to studying for that last exam :b

12. Dave Barretto

Hay Shawn:::
    I think you should play your post number in the lottery[​IMG]
    Dave
    PS. can't wait for the demo in Jan. Maybe a mini HT meeting
    Right Ron E. ??????

13. Jason Hammerly

Jason Hammerly Supporting Actor

Rodney ... got a question for you. Did it cost more to get teh 25-31 tuned to 22 hz. I was thinking about getting the unpowered one and a 22 hz tune would rule. thanks

14. Shawn Shultzaberger

Shawn Shultzaberger Supporting Actor

I just purchased the dual 25-31CS with Samson 700 and 22Hz tune option. Now that I think of it, exactly what is this going to do other than set the tuning frequency to 22Hz? Will I lose a few db's in the upper freq's and gain a little more down low, or will it keep db's in the upper freq's and gain in the low?

And I'm not to sure but I don't believe the 22Hz option costs anything. Is this correct?

15. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Guys,

There is no charge for getting a non-stock tune on order. There IS a charge for additional ports ($29) if you want more than one to experiment.

There is also however, no free lunch, like they say. You do indeed lose some ability to reproduce the highest levels possible above the tuning point of the sub when tuning it ever lower. Given the vast majority of movie bass is 25Hz or above, this is why the 25-31 models are such SPL monsters. We're not talking night and day here. You pick up a few dbs in the 20Hz range (when such bass is present, and with good corner loaded room placement), but you give up a couple in the 25Hz and above range.

Frankly, we tend to recommend keeping stock tuning since it's the best mix of SPL and extension for any given enclosure size, but folks that get lower tuned 25-31s seem to be happy with them.

Get twin subs and you have SPL capacity to burn (in all but the largest rooms) so that's something to consider too. Some folks don't do twin subs initially for budget or room reasons, but plan on that as an upgrade.

Ron