What's new

Directors Even More Directors - Volume Thirty - Satyajit Ray (1 Viewer)

Martin Teller

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Teller
SteveGon said:
So how are you seeing all these? :frowning:
The Apu trilogy is from the original DVDs (now OOP).
Mahanagar, Charulata, Jalsaghar, Agantuk, and Devi were all from the public library on VHS.
Mahanagar and Charulata were also both released on DVD by Bollywood Entertainment. The subtitles are terrible, but both are outstanding films so I recommend them anyway.
Also on Bollywood DVD: The Chess Players, Joi Baba Felunath, Kapurush, Mahapurush, Nayak. (note that the subtitles on Joi Baba Felunath are INCREDIBLY fucked due to some kind of authoring error. It takes a bit of work to figure out which subtitles go where, which I suppose is oddly appropriate for a detective story)
Netflix had a DVD of Abhijaan, but it appears to be gone now. I can't remember, but it might have been the Masters of Cinema version (although probably not, because I don't think those would play on my system).
As for the rest, they're all from "other" sources that I probably can't discuss here. Let's just say that getting them seems to slow down my computer a lot for mysterious reasons. Most seem to be from DVDs by a company called Angel that insist on putting their logo on the screen for the entirety of the film.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Thanks for the reply, Martin.

Netflix had a DVD of Abhijaan, but it appears to be gone now. I can't remember, but it might have been the Masters of Cinema version (although probably not, because I don't think those would play on my system).
I bought (and have since sold) the MoC DVD of Abhijaan. IIRC, it was a region zero NTSC disc (as are some of the other MoC releases).

Martin Teller

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Teller
added Goopy Gyne Bagha Byne (1968) - 8/10

...and with that, I have seen every Ray film (except a few shorts and documentaries)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks