What's new

EVD - High Definition DVDs from China (MERGED THREAD) (1 Viewer)

SvenS

Second Unit
If the studios do allow their films to be on these DVD's then they are hypocrits and deserve to have all their films bootlegged. The studios have been railing constantly about China's bootlegging (rightfully so) and for them to even think about supporting a Chinese format is rediculous!

Sean Aaron

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean Aaron
I disagree. With the potential market of China and the prospect of a state-sponsored legitimate format, Hollywood should definitely be interested in licensing films for this format. Look at Microsoft bending over backwards to release source code on-demand and offering preferential prices at the possible hint of future profits...I don't see why the greedyguts in Hollywood would be any different.

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
If they had any sense they would put out Hero on EVD with English subs. That be good for a few hundred US sales of players by itself. I'm just looking for an excuse to buy one!

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
This format will likely be a joke. Even if it's technically "HD" I doubt that the film-tape transfer and video mastering quality will be up to top-drawer standards.

-dave

SvenS

Second Unit
Considering the format has little or no copy protection and I again say the studios should not support the format!

Johnny G

Supporting Actor
Copy protection?

Do you seriously think that the pirates that want to copy them see them as being protected?

Brian-W

Screenwriter

Yes you can, and yes they are. However, they're Chinese movies, and nothing from Hollywood at this time. I don't think there's more than a dozen titles available though.

As for the success of SVCD, SVCD is pretty big in China. China isn't exactly a country with a population less than 100k people. Given the royalty situation, EVD players will be cheaper (they're out now for about $250 USD) than HD-DVD or Blu-Ray intends to be.

Lastly, in regards to Hollywood, Hollywood is caught between a rock and a hard spot, don't count Hollywood out yet. If Hollywood refuses to license their films, China will pirate them from OTA broadcasts from Japan and other sources. China is currently in a position of win-win either way regardless of Hollywoods support.

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
I don't care about Hollywood films on EVD. Just give me some english sub! Infernal Affairs would be a big seller on EVD too.

Elbert Lee

Supporting Actor
hivizone has the shinco evd player for sale. I don't know of any other player available on the market yet or if there are any good HK/China - based stores that sell any of the EVD Players yet.

Brian-W

Screenwriter
Elbert is right, Hivizone has a Shinco player bundled with 5 EVD movies for $250

Link Removed

There are a couple other EVD players available for the same price point, however I don't know the names (the names were all in Chinese).

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Do EVD titles have optional english subtitles? If so I might buy a player ($250 is cheaper than my interlaced DVD player cost me)

Johnny G

Supporting Actor
HERE is a direct link to the Shinco player, it has 5 films including Hero & Black Mask 2 for $245.

International shipping (to USA & UK anyway) is $80.50, I wonder how much duty customs would slap on?

At last, we're getting somewhere!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks