What's new

Evangelion Movie on DVD (1 Viewer)

Matt Krapf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
Evangelion: Death & Rebirth
On July 30th Manga Entertainment is releasing Evangelion: Death & Rebirth on DVD for $29.95 SRP. Special Features will include: letterbox widescreen format, English Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround, English and Japanese Stereo, a subtitle options for dialog and on-screen text, audio commentary by Amanda Winn Lee, other voice commentary by Taliesin Jaffe & Jason C. Lee, Mokuji Interactive Feature, in-depth index of characters, Angels, Evas & Terms, a photo gallery, original Japanese trailers, Japanese production credits, End of Evangelion Preview and more.

Is this (1of1) or (1of2) movies.
I'm told the movie/s better conclude the story than the final tv eps.

James D

Second Unit
This is one of two Evangelion movies. The second is entitled "Neon Genesis Evangelion-The End of Evangelion" and will street on September 24th.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
I've seen both already so.......

Unless you are a super-hardcore Evangelion completest save your money and don't pick up Death and Rebirth. All it is is a re-hash of the entire series with a few IMO not important new scenes.

END OF EVANGELION is the one you want.

Jose Q

Stunt Coordinator
Be advised as well that Manga will also release a box set containing both movies probably by the end of the year.
Same product with the same specs and all just on a box to hold both of them. Also, make sure to check out the metal box available on www.therightstuf.com for the regular TV series DVDs. I received mine recently and it is a nice way to display your discs.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Imagine that they made 3 episodes of Evangelion:

1) A bunch of images from the series edited together to point out significant or important plot points

2) The first "last" episode

3) The second "last" episode.

Parts 1 and 2 are in D&R. Parts 2 and 3 are in EoE. They made 2 movies from 3 parts.

The first part was actually remade twice, so there are 3 versions:

Death and Rebirth
Death and Rebirth (TRUE)
Death and Rebirth (TRUE)^2

Each version added stuff. The third version has the most stuff and it will be the DVD version we are getting. The material that was added was re-edited into the series (it was brand new material) for the Japanese DVDs, but not the American ones.

So if you don't get the D&R DVD then you're only missing out on a few things, mainly some voice overs that show what different characters thought about different things (they are from their diaries) and some snippets of footage. To tell the truth, its really not that much.

The second movie has the second half of the first movie as its first half, so all you would be missing by skipping the first movie is the first half of it (and a cool looking credits background shot).

Matt-

You gonna be at the party this year?

Matt Krapf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
Great info on the movie. Thanks.
Much as I like Box Sets, I'm inclined to go with Morgan's implied suggestion(and Jim's actual suggestion) of just getting EoE on DVD, when it arrives.
Morgan, I'm going to be there, and am looking forward to the 2002 update on sweet new games for consoles you've shown me each Summer. :emoji_thumbsup:
I'll see you guys there.
Matt

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately, I haven't gotten an X-Box...otherwise I'd make sure we played it on the big screen after the movie...HALO....yum.

Anyhoo, anyone know what extras they're putting on these DVDs? I had heard the Red Cross book would be on them, but not much else.

Matt Krapf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
Morgan, call me sick and sadistic, but even playing GTA3 on the big screen would be awesome. Near-full-size violence and driving stunts...well, seems cool to me. :D
Do you happen to have the Game Cube? Spider-Man looks incredible.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Yes, I have a GameCube (GCN). I plan on playing Super Smash Brothers: Melee and Rogue Leader on the screen, though I don't have Spider-man.

GTA3...didn't like it. Nor did I like the first two. Just never was fun. Even so, once dad found out about the whole hooker thing and what you can do with them, he said I can't even bring the game in the house. To tell the truth, I wouldn't have anyway.

Matt Krapf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
Without going into it... that's why you guys are so cool.
Simply...standards.

In the meantime, Rogue Leader looked phenomenal on a display I saw. I may have to twist your arm to let me try that.

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
Do you have to watch the whole series too understand the movies or do they give a little update for people who haven't seen the whole series?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Death and Rebirth is a movie version of the series, but if you haven't seen the series D&R will still make no sense. Basically D&R was made because they couldn't finish End of Eva by the release date, so they released D&R and the first half hour of EOE as a teaser

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Matt-

We have an unopened second copy of Rogue Leader...go buy a GameCube for $150 and we can sell it to you for cheaper than retail (whatever price its at nowadays).

Anyway, I'll probably have the console(s) running throughout the day....again....along with some games running at night (if I can get my dad to let me run them).

Anyhoo, you really do need to see the whole series in order to get the movies. The first half of D&R really points out things that you should keep in mind or might not have noticed rather than sum the whole series up.

Matt Krapf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
Morgan,
Not sure if you're speaking to me or Chad, in the last post.
I do already own the series. Started buying them during the last Palooza. ;)
These movies are new to me, beyond what I've seen you and Jeff Kleist mention from time to time. So, I'm glad I asked about it/them.
As for GCN(shouldn't NGC be more apt?), I fully expect this Summer's purchase of PS2 and GT3, MGS2, GTA3, and Medal of Honor to keep me happy and up late for well over a year.
lol... by then, Game Cube will probably go the way of the Sega.(just kidding everyone!) :D
(so thanks for the Rogue Leader offer, but GCN isn't in the cards for me)
A thought...is End of Eva available already? if only on VHS?

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Neither of the movies is available in America AT ALL.

PS2 is probably the better choice for you (you're not as much into gaming as some of the others here, including myself) and it has a lot of good games for it already. I just wanted to get rid of my extra Rogue Leader...

It probably should be NGC...but its GCN because Nintendo uses NGC in Japan and NGC could mean Neo-Geo Color (even though it should be NGPC - Neo-Geo Pocket Color). In Japan, its AGB for GameBoy Advance (GBA here). Crazy Nintendo.

Matt Krapf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
This thread's fading fast, methinks.
Anyhoo, Morgan, if the movies aren't available at all, how is it you guys know so much about them? I have to assume you've seen bootlegs or something. Then again, I'm just not "hooked in" to the anime circles enough to even hear about these kinds of things, except from knowledgeable friends.
Case in point.
I mentioned I started buying the DVD's last Summer, around the time of the Palooza. What occurred to me after I wrote that, was that you and I had spoken about Evangelion at the First Palooza I went to. If you hadn't explained the basic Angel/Eva story and such, I wouldn't have gotten into it at all. So...Thanks, pal. :emoji_thumbsup:
See you guys in a few weeks, and in other threads.
Matt

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Actually Morgan, it's GCN because in Japanese it would be Gamecube no Nintendo (Nintendo's Gamecube).

Same thing with GBA. It all has to do with Japanese grammatical structure. The same reason why the buttons are "backward" for the first 2 consoles ( Japanese traditionally read right to left)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Oh, I get it now. Thanks for explaining that. I know a little bit about Japanese, and now it makes more sense (duh on me for not thinking of it sooner). The controllers were backwards? Thats news to me.

Anyhoo, a friend of mine got a copy of the movie and gave it to me to watch. It was subtitled (so it was a fansub) and it was pretty good. Of course, he only gave me the second movie. A whole set of circumstances led to me seeing the first one.

You're welcome on explaining it to you. I haven't seen the series in a while, I should probably go back and watch it again. Last series I watched was Cowboy Bebop.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Morgan, remember (or maybe you're a little young) on Nintendo and SNES, the "B" button was the first on the left, then the "A" button.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks