Evanesence

Discussion in 'Music' started by TheLongshot, Mar 1, 2003.

1. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

I gotta say, one of the best things about seeing Daredevil was discovering this band. I've been listening to their clips on their web site in anticipation of their album coming out on tuesday. I can't wait.

It is nice to see a heavy, female fronted band with good vocals to get radio airplay.

Jason

2. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

I uhm... have heard the album already. I'm not all that excited by it. At first I was giddy, but after a few listens you'll likely find it that it wears out quickly.

Only Bring Me to Life has any male vocals. It's a little different from most music out there, but it really draws very heavily on Linkin' Park. The end result is a Linkin' Park clone with a girl singing instead of the guys in Linkin' Park. It might be worth a listen to see if it tickles your fancy though.

Seth

3. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Seth, interesting observations.

I bought the Daredevil soundtrack mostly because of the two tracks on the album from this band and I really like what I have heard, but you bring up a great point. I did hear quite a bit of resemblance to Linkin Park when I was listening to these songs and after a few spins, they aren't drawing me in like they did when I first bought the disk. I was definately going to wait until a second single was released before I jumped on the bandwagon.

4. Elias

Elias Stunt Coordinator

20 minutes after I saw Daredevil, I bought the soundtrack, specifically for Evanescene's two songs. My wife and I were enchanted by Amy Lee's voice. It has a sweet yet mysterious character to it. I think her voice adds tremendously to the music, which is sort of a combination of Goth and alternative. This mixture is particularly apparent if you listen to their prior album, 'Origin', which unfortunately is out of print.

I had the opportunity to see Evanescence in concert at the 9:30 club in Washington DC on 2/23/03. Their music is definitely quite original, and Amy's voice is as great live as it is in the studio. Amy Lee and Ben Moody even autographed our tickets!

I couldn't resist telling Ben that I think that their albums should be on SACD, particularly to bring out the full quality of Amy's wonderful voice.

The interesting thing is that Amy and Ben met at a Christian youth camp, and their earlier music delves considerably into religious themes. Seeing them in concert, you kinda get the sense that the band members are actually very friendly and down to earth people, dressed up as budding rock stars. What's fascinating is that Evanescence is really one of the first bands of Christian origin to play dark, Goth-like music. They are currently wisely focusing on advancing their music rather than their religion, downplaying their origin as a Christian band. One of the original members, David Hodges, actually left the band literally right before Bring Me to Life made them famous, because he wished to return to the Christian music scene. If he had a major role in writing the music and lyrics, I think the band's music might lose some of the qualities that make it so exciting and refreshing to listen to.

As Evanescence begins to achieve national reputation, their music also changes a bit toward mainstream alternative rock. Some of their songs from their first album, including My Immortal, Whisper, and Imaginary, fortunately appear on their upcoming album 'Fallen'. I would like to hear more of their darker music from earlier years in this and future albums.

I think Evanescence has an excellent future. I'm very excited about their music and look forward to hearing their new album. It's refreshing to hear a beautiful female voice sing something other than pop (the likes of Britany, Christina, Avryl, etc.), and am especially excited that Evanescence really rocks.

If you haven't heard their songs, check out www.evanescence.com to hear stuff from their current album. You can also find info about their earlier music and their roots at www.exodusevanescence.com. If you can't wait till 3/4/03 when Fallen is released, buy the Daredevil soundtrack (it has other great songs too!).

[Ben and Amy, if you ever happen to read this, my wife and I wish you the greatest success. We'd love to hear from you! -Elias and Tjoyia Aliprandis, Baltimore, MD]

5. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

6. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

Odd thing is I really like Linkin' Park too. Maybe I just listened to Evanescence too much.

Seth

7. Elias

Elias Stunt Coordinator

I have to say that, besides Bring Me to Life with the vocals from 12 stones, the rest of Evanescene's music sounds little like Linkin Park.

8. Jeremy Little

Jeremy Little Supporting Actor

The first song that I heard of theirs was an acoustic cover of Heart-Shaped Box that they did for a radio show. It was right on and the vocals were really good.

9. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Oh man, I am so buying the Cd when it comes out (its not listed at futureshop.com yet [​IMG] ). I 'sampled' the tracks off their CD. I love the variation in the music. The girls' voice is amazing. Her range in music is great. Going from their hit "Bring me to life" to "My Immortal" is cool, two varying types of music, both great, she sings both equally well.

10. Michael Martin

Michael Martin Screenwriter

11. Dominik Droscher

Dominik Droscher Supporting Actor

I like their new album. I see the mainstream influences and wished they would be a little more distinct. They seem to have the potential and I hope they are given the chance to develop their own style and experiment a little.

The music video for Bring Me to Life is now available on their site. It is pretty good and luckily not just a boring collection of Daredevil clips.

12. Elias

Elias Stunt Coordinator

Michael, Perhaps I worded that sentence poorly. I agree with you on both fronts. I'm curious as to which of the reasons you outlined above motivated the band. Perhaps a little of both? In any event, I just want them to develop their full potential as musicians. Their music really rocks. -Elias

13. Dominik Droscher

Dominik Droscher Supporting Actor

Here you'll find an interview and "Bring me to Life" and "Even in Death" (which is not on the album) in acoustic versions. The band allows the download in the interview so I hope this link is not a problem. [​IMG]

14. Michael Martin

15. Elias

Elias Stunt Coordinator

I encourage all of you to buy Evanescence's new album, 'Fallen', which was just released 3/4/03. The music is excellent!!! It has a great mixture of enchanting vocals, hard rock guitar, and electronica. Way to go Evanescence on a wonderful album!

All you Linkin Park fans, I'm sorry, but the rest of the songs definitely are not reminiscent of Linkin Park. We'll just have to buy Meteora separately when it comes out later this month.

Elias

16. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

It is quite good, tho for Gothic Metal, it is around average. There is nothing about these guys that is really distinguishable from other female-fronted Gothic Metal. I still quite enjoy it for what it is, tho. Pretty cheap too at Best Buy this week, so pick it up.

Jason

17. Michael Martin

I am not at all familiar with this genre of music, but I absolutely love the CD. All but one of the songs really clicks with me. It's been in the car CD player since Tuesday afternoon, and hasn't left it yet. My speakers are certainly getting a workout.

Other than the two songs featured in Daredevil, "Haunted" and "Whispers" really stand out. [​IMG]

18. Howie A

Howie A Second Unit

My friend some how scored a advanced copy of the new album and also got the old one. (which never really caught on) I heard them both and for the most part the first was a bit of a different style but they both were pretty cool after a few spins.
    I must admit that none of the songs really live up to the quality and catchiness of Bring Me to Life.

The real reason for this post was to mention that they are going to be on Jay Leno tonight. (thursday 3/6/03)
    I thought you all might want to catch it.

19. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

20. Elias

Elias Stunt Coordinator

To reiterate, catch Evanescence on Leno tonight in 90 minutes!!!