What's new

Evanesence (1 Viewer)

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I gotta say, one of the best things about seeing Daredevil was discovering this band. I've been listening to their clips on their web site in anticipation of their album coming out on tuesday. I can't wait.

It is nice to see a heavy, female fronted band with good vocals to get radio airplay.

Jason

Seth_L

Screenwriter
I uhm... have heard the album already. I'm not all that excited by it. At first I was giddy, but after a few listens you'll likely find it that it wears out quickly.

Only Bring Me to Life has any male vocals. It's a little different from most music out there, but it really draws very heavily on Linkin' Park. The end result is a Linkin' Park clone with a girl singing instead of the guys in Linkin' Park. It might be worth a listen to see if it tickles your fancy though.

Seth

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Seth, interesting observations.

I bought the Daredevil soundtrack mostly because of the two tracks on the album from this band and I really like what I have heard, but you bring up a great point. I did hear quite a bit of resemblance to Linkin Park when I was listening to these songs and after a few spins, they aren't drawing me in like they did when I first bought the disk. I was definately going to wait until a second single was released before I jumped on the bandwagon.

Elias

Stunt Coordinator
20 minutes after I saw Daredevil, I bought the soundtrack, specifically for Evanescene's two songs. My wife and I were enchanted by Amy Lee's voice. It has a sweet yet mysterious character to it. I think her voice adds tremendously to the music, which is sort of a combination of Goth and alternative. This mixture is particularly apparent if you listen to their prior album, 'Origin', which unfortunately is out of print.

I had the opportunity to see Evanescence in concert at the 9:30 club in Washington DC on 2/23/03. Their music is definitely quite original, and Amy's voice is as great live as it is in the studio. Amy Lee and Ben Moody even autographed our tickets!

I couldn't resist telling Ben that I think that their albums should be on SACD, particularly to bring out the full quality of Amy's wonderful voice.

The interesting thing is that Amy and Ben met at a Christian youth camp, and their earlier music delves considerably into religious themes. Seeing them in concert, you kinda get the sense that the band members are actually very friendly and down to earth people, dressed up as budding rock stars. What's fascinating is that Evanescence is really one of the first bands of Christian origin to play dark, Goth-like music. They are currently wisely focusing on advancing their music rather than their religion, downplaying their origin as a Christian band. One of the original members, David Hodges, actually left the band literally right before Bring Me to Life made them famous, because he wished to return to the Christian music scene. If he had a major role in writing the music and lyrics, I think the band's music might lose some of the qualities that make it so exciting and refreshing to listen to.

As Evanescence begins to achieve national reputation, their music also changes a bit toward mainstream alternative rock. Some of their songs from their first album, including My Immortal, Whisper, and Imaginary, fortunately appear on their upcoming album 'Fallen'. I would like to hear more of their darker music from earlier years in this and future albums.

I think Evanescence has an excellent future. I'm very excited about their music and look forward to hearing their new album. It's refreshing to hear a beautiful female voice sing something other than pop (the likes of Britany, Christina, Avryl, etc.), and am especially excited that Evanescence really rocks.

If you haven't heard their songs, check out www.evanescence.com to hear stuff from their current album. You can also find info about their earlier music and their roots at www.exodusevanescence.com. If you can't wait till 3/4/03 when Fallen is released, buy the Daredevil soundtrack (it has other great songs too!).

[Ben and Amy, if you ever happen to read this, my wife and I wish you the greatest success. We'd love to hear from you! -Elias and Tjoyia Aliprandis, Baltimore, MD]

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Only Bring Me to Life has any male vocals. It's a little different from most music out there, but it really draws very heavily on Linkin' Park. The end result is a Linkin' Park clone with a girl singing instead of the guys in Linkin' Park. It might be worth a listen to see if it tickles your fancy though.
I can hear that. That doesn't bug me so much since I kinda like Linkin Park. It improves on their formula by having a better lead singer. She's got a great voice.

Too bad I missed them at the 9:30 club. It would have been nice to see...

Jason

Seth_L

Screenwriter
Odd thing is I really like Linkin' Park too. Maybe I just listened to Evanescence too much.

Seth

Elias

Stunt Coordinator
I have to say that, besides Bring Me to Life with the vocals from 12 stones, the rest of Evanescene's music sounds little like Linkin Park.

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor
The first song that I heard of theirs was an acoustic cover of Heart-Shaped Box that they did for a radio show. It was right on and the vocals were really good.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Oh man, I am so buying the Cd when it comes out (its not listed at futureshop.com yet :frowning: ). I 'sampled' the tracks off their CD. I love the variation in the music. The girls' voice is amazing. Her range in music is great. Going from their hit "Bring me to life" to "My Immortal" is cool, two varying types of music, both great, she sings both equally well.

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
They are currently wisely focusing on advancing their music rather than their religion, downplaying their origin as a Christian band.
Why do you call this wise? I'm not flamebaiting, nor am I trying to threadfart here. I'm very interested in this group - and considering Best Buy is pricing their new album at $9.99, I'll probably buy it tomorrow.

If by "wisely' you mean they're moving away from trite, cliched lyrics that will do little to reach anyone, I agree wholeheartedly. I have grown very tired of the same overused phrases and vocabulary many Christian artists seem to use.

However, if you mean "wisely" so that they can simply sell more records, than I disagree. While I have no desire to box in artists and have some kind of artificial rating of how "spiritual" their albums or lyrics are, I want all artists to be true to who they are and what they believe. I don't think artistic integrity and growth are inimical to being a professing Christian (though sadly, many Christians seem to think so).

Admins, if this is too off-topic or considered inflammatory, apologies. My desire is NOT to get into a heated argument, but to better understand someone's perspective.

Dominik Droscher

Supporting Actor
I like their new album. I see the mainstream influences and wished they would be a little more distinct. They seem to have the potential and I hope they are given the chance to develop their own style and experiment a little.

The music video for Bring Me to Life is now available on their site. It is pretty good and luckily not just a boring collection of Daredevil clips.

Elias

Stunt Coordinator

Michael, Perhaps I worded that sentence poorly. I agree with you on both fronts. I'm curious as to which of the reasons you outlined above motivated the band. Perhaps a little of both? In any event, I just want them to develop their full potential as musicians. Their music really rocks. -Elias

Dominik Droscher

Supporting Actor
Here you'll find an interview and "Bring me to Life" and "Even in Death" (which is not on the album) in acoustic versions. The band allows the download in the interview so I hope this link is not a problem. :)

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
I agree with you on both fronts. I'm curious as to which of the reasons you outlined above motivated the band. Perhaps a little of both?
Considering their type of music and their potential audience, I think you are correct that both factors affected their songwriting.

The music that "helps" or "energizes" me the most is when the music and lyrics seem like organic extensions of the band. I have no issues with Evanescence (or any other band) writing lyrics that are not always (or even ever) spiritually "explicit." As long as they are putting personal and artistic integrity first, I support wherever their gifts lead.

Glad you understood, Elias. I was concerned I sounded like a knee-jerk, and that you'd (understandably) be offended.

Elias

Stunt Coordinator
I encourage all of you to buy Evanescence's new album, 'Fallen', which was just released 3/4/03. The music is excellent!!! It has a great mixture of enchanting vocals, hard rock guitar, and electronica. Way to go Evanescence on a wonderful album!

All you Linkin Park fans, I'm sorry, but the rest of the songs definitely are not reminiscent of Linkin Park. We'll just have to buy Meteora separately when it comes out later this month.

Elias

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
It is quite good, tho for Gothic Metal, it is around average. There is nothing about these guys that is really distinguishable from other female-fronted Gothic Metal. I still quite enjoy it for what it is, tho. Pretty cheap too at Best Buy this week, so pick it up.

Jason

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
I am not at all familiar with this genre of music, but I absolutely love the CD. All but one of the songs really clicks with me. It's been in the car CD player since Tuesday afternoon, and hasn't left it yet. My speakers are certainly getting a workout.

Other than the two songs featured in Daredevil, "Haunted" and "Whispers" really stand out. :D

There is nothing about these guys that is really distinguishable from other female-fronted Gothic Metal. I
Jason, if I really like Evanescence, are there any other bands you can recommend? If it helps, what I really like about this CD is the music/production - whilst loud, it has a great, clean sound, and I like that the guitars are not just a fuzzy wall of sound - as well as her vocals. Amy's voice is just incredible.

Even bands with male singers would be welcome, as long as the guy's voice is strong and clear.

Howie A

Second Unit
My friend some how scored a advanced copy of the new album and also got the old one. (which never really caught on) I heard them both and for the most part the first was a bit of a different style but they both were pretty cool after a few spins.
I must admit that none of the songs really live up to the quality and catchiness of Bring Me to Life.

The real reason for this post was to mention that they are going to be on Jay Leno tonight. (thursday 3/6/03)
I thought you all might want to catch it.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Jason, if I really like Evanescence, are there any other bands you can recommend?
I was waiting for someone to say that. :)

After Forever - Floor Jansen is an amazing vocallist who switches between norman and operatic styles. They have a growler, but he isn't that annoying, and he's used for great effect half of the time. The second album "Decypher" is better than the first "Prison Of Desire". www.afterforever.com

Nightwish - Probably one of the best operatic sopranos that I've ever heard, Tarja has some amazing pipes. The music itself is pretty average, but it is worth it for her. "Angels Fall First" would probably be the only one I'd warn you off from buying first, since it features some subpar male vocals. www.nightwish.com

The Gathering - A rather different band than the above, the earlier stuff featured heavy riffing, while the later ones are more atmospheric. Anneke van Giersbergen is a different sort of vocallist, a bit more of an edge in her voice that fits with the music. I recommend "Nighttime Birds". www.gathering.nl

Lacuna Coil - These guys have both male and female vocals, which they mix up. The guy isn't much of a singer, but the gal is pretty good. They also sing in Italian occasionally.
www.lacunacoil.it

Within Temptation - I only have the latest one, "Mother Earth", but they are pretty good. www.within-temptation.com

Edenbridge - Another pretty average band. Nothing particularly special about these guys, but they do a fine job and it might be of interest. www.edenbridge.org

Brave - I mention these guys last, because they are local to me, but I think they are pretty darn wonderful. Not really all that gothic anymore, but had some of those elements early on in their career. Highly recommended. www.bravemusic.com

Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks