What's new

International EVA - Terrific Sci-Fi Title From Spain on Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
This review is made possible with the help of www.DaaVeeDee.com

Notes on my reviews: I do not offer plot summaries in most cases, as these can be found on a million other sites, but rather focus instead on what people want to know: the image and sound presentation, default playback settings, subtitles, audio choices, etc. My equipment: Panasonic TC-P55UT50 Plasma monitor (3-D capable); Panasonic DMP-BDT220 3-D Blu-ray player; LG BD-360 all-region Blu-ray player; Denon AVE-E200 5.1 Surround receiver. All aspect ratios are physically measured on the Panasonic screen, which has been set to eliminate overscan.

upload_2016-3-8_12-34-51.png

I rented this from Netflix, who only have a DVD (no Blu-ray release in the U.S.), and immediately wanted to obtain it on HD. What a wonderful movie!

This is one of those marvelous is-she-or-isn't-she films about advanced robot technology that actually has a thoughtful plot and compelling characters (a la EX MACHINA). There is a little bit of heartbreak here -- an emotional resonance that can stir your emotions while providing a visual feast and a provocative story. Paramount evidently concluded that a Blu-ray wasn't worth their effort in the U.S. Damn that studio, for this is a Region B-locked release.

The Blu-ray is stunning. The 2.35:1 image is breathtaking. Sharp, great color, fine contrast. The sound is 5.1 dts. and the surround is sporadically quite active.

The disc is loaded, but unfortunately features such as the commentary are Spanish with no subtitles. Other features include a making-of doc, trailers, and effects shorts. The main feature, however, does include English subtitles for the Spanish language track.

Highly recommended!

This review was made possible with the help of www.DaaVeeDee.com

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks