eva overlays

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Shayne Lebrun, Apr 21, 2002.

1. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

Can anybody point me to a list, or point out some, of the overlays that were on the original Evangelion DVD 1, that are supposedly removed in the remaster?

Thanks.

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

The only one I specifically remember is Shinji's map in the Hallway. usually it looks like a bad video effect, and/or there's English text where there is none later in the series

3. Jeff Kleist

If you're thinking about cigarettes, then you're thinking on Tenchi Muyo on Cartoon network. Also the frothy mugs of water (couldn't they change them to soda?)

4. Shayne Lebrun

Ok, now I'm confuzzled as all get out. Did I mix up my old and my new Eva DVD 1?
    Both DVDs have the 'toothpicks' one; one with an arrow, one without. But the OTHER DVD, which I thought came with the box set, but now I'm not so sure, has a whole whack of other ones.
    I took some screen caps, here: http://www.tangozone.com/slebrun/eva/eva.html and could some kind soul please take a look and tell me which is which?
    Thanks!
    EDIT: The boxset dvd1 has filedates in 2001, while the old one has dates in 2000. The old one also has a DVD-ROM program; Spinner, I believe.
    Did the remaster use a new source, with all of these hard subtitles?

5. Jeff Kleist

They just used the subtitle master is all, and left the main subs out

6. Shayne Lebrun

So, in the boxed set one, they're player-generated titles, but there's no way to turn them off?

7. Jeff Kleist

I don't know for sure, because I don't have the disc, but I'm pretty sure they're burned in

8. Shayne Lebrun

Ok, now I'm extra extra confused.

The remastered disc has more 'english translations' of random things on screen, but they're part of the master, whereas the original first DVD had them added. So they both, for example, have the 'toothpick' caption, but the remaster it's part of the video, whereas the first DVD, which includes a handy arrow on the caption, pointing to the toothpick container, it was added for the DVD?

9. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I think they should have just done what Pioneer did with Akira and allow you to pause the movie and see the translations of items on-screen instead of covering them up.