What's new

European Pioneer DVD Players (1 Viewer)

Kevin_Roman

Auditioning
Looking at the European Pioneer Website, I saw that a lot of their models are PAL/NTSC compatible. The website further explains they can be used on both NTSC and PAL TVs. If this is true, why isn't everyone buying those players region-free instead of the Malata? Link Removed sells it region-free for 340(US$).
http://www.pioneer-eur.com

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Because they just pass PAL, they don't do the conversion to NTSC. You would need to buy a $300 box to convert PAL to NTSC if you have this player

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I looked at their web site for the specs on the Pioneer DV-444S and in fact they do PAL to NTSC conversion, but unfortunately not all the way: they convert to NTSC 50, which would lead to a rolling picture on an American TV.

At any rate, PAL to NTSC conversion is hardly the Malata's only feature -- it has very powerful picture scalling as well as progressive scan capabilities, which I presume the Pioneers in question do not.

Ted

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks