What's new

Europe has the coolest cars! (1 Viewer)

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
That's an Exige. You can't buy that, even in Europe correct?

btw- I think that Caddy looks sweeeet!

Ian Wilson

Agent
You can buy them in Europe. Out of production now (800 made). They are really just a hardtop version of the Elise. They are road cars and came standard with a 190hp engine. There are a few in the States being used on the track as the original Rover engine doesn´t meet US specs. The Prototype racing conversion allows you to use them on the road.

Ian

Nathan_F

Second Unit
Real Name
Nathan
Give Lutz a chance at GM. He's already taken the cladding of the Pontiacs. He'll get their designs up to speed before long. He's got a long way to go at Cadillac though...

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
STi will not only not be "dumbed down for America" but for once we'll get something better than what the rest of the world gets
Finally! 300HP & 300lb-ft from a 2.5 flat four, not to mention the Driver Controlled Center Differential (DCCD) and variable valve timming heads :emoji_thumbsup: Word is the rest of the world will eventually get the 2.5 STi as well, while leaving the regular WRX with a 2.0, so they qualify for FIA rally rules.
Mike D.

Shawn C

Screenwriter
Give Lutz a chance at GM
Agreed. We're already starting to see his work and approvals. I think that GM needs to make that Cadillac to go up against the Maybach from Mercedes. It would be nice to see Cadillac known as the maker of the worlds finest cars again.

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
In regards to the US version of the Subaru Impreza WRX STi--it should be noted the rest of the world uses a 2.0-liter engine in the STi, mostly due to FIA certification regulations for Group A rally cars (which limits engine displacement to no more than 2.0 liters).
Mind you, to get around 280 bhp out of a 2.0-liter engine requires a lot of high-revving above 3500 rpm and somewhat relaxed emissions certification for the car.
The US-version car--because it meets EPA/CARB emission regulations--had to go to a 2.5-liter engine to restore the power loss that would have occurred if the engine had stayed a 2.0-liter unit (some auto magazines estimated a US-legal 2.0-liter STi would have no more that 255 bhp). But the US car is rated at 300 bhp and definitely has a fatter torque curve than the European and Japanese market models, so hunting BMW M3's, Audi S4's and Porsche 911's should be real easy to do. ;)

Cam S

Screenwriter
Man, that Lotus Exige with the Honda engine is insane!!! I can remember a test with the Subaru 22B and the 911 Carrerra, and the subaru spanked it!

CharlesD

Screenwriter
...hunting BMW M3's, Audi S4's and Porsche 911's should be real easy to do.
Heck, the regular WRX is not that far behind the regular 911 in terms of 0-60 times, the new V-8 S4 has 340hp/300lb-ft and will weigh considerably more than the STi, so it should be out-performed by the STi. For the money there will be few, if any cars, that can touch it in terms os all around performance. It will lack the luxury and refinement of the other cars, but the target market won't give a crap! :D
The US-Spec STi should have 90% of the performance of a 911 Twin Turbo at less than a third of the price! If I had the money I'd buy the 911 TT for sure, but I don't have $110k to spare...
As far as the WRC goes so long as they have a production 2.0 car they can use that as the starting point for the Rally car.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
the regular WRX is not that far behind the regular 911 in terms of 0-60 times
well remember 0-60 isnt everything. i'm sure the wrx handles well, but the 911 will handle 10 times as well as the wrx at less than 3 times the price. the wrx is a nice little car, certainly better than any american car i can think of. but you wont catch me in a japanese car until they get with it and start making quality interiors on par with german cars. cutting corners and saving a few bucks will catch up to them. also, a friend of mine is lead mechanic at the local planet subaru, and he tells me that all the wrx's that have been sold are starting to come back into the shop with drastic seal problems. apparently, subaru uses a rubber liquid compound instead of a real gasket in many of their seals. this is leading to the mechanics spending all their time repairing the old cars and not taking on any new business. my friend also works on many volkswagens and porsches and bmw's on the side. said he would rather have a jetta/gti vr6 than any wrx all day long, reliability aside. i dont mean to knock the wrx, i think its a slick little car, but its not gods gift to cars, which is what many people hail it as, in the price class.

CJ

CharlesD

Screenwriter
0-60 is certainly not everything & its no 911, but in terms of sheer performance the WRX can't be beat in it's class. The WRX is not aimed at people who make their buying decisions on the interior of a car, it is for performance enthusiasts on a budget. It is a niche car not intended to compete with every car in it's price class.

Eve T

Supporting Actor
Speak for yourself there ;)
I think America has the kewlest cars. (That is if they are pre- 1972)
I'm into the American Muscle scene and I believe the older Dodge/Plymouth/Chryslers were and still are the coolest cars.
My Dodge is over 30 years old and the engine hasn't been rebuilt, it still runs. I drive it everyday. Now..how cool is that? :)

Users who are viewing this thread