What's new

International Euro Blu-ray Review: MIGHTY APHRODITE (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
This review is made possible with the help of www.DaaVeeDee.comNotes on my reviews: I do not offer plot summaries in most cases, as these can be found on a million other sites, but rather focus instead on what people who shop for overseas Blu-rays want to know: the image and sound presentation, default playback settings, subtitles, audio choices, etc. My equipment: Panasonic TC-P55UT50 Plasma monitor (3-D capable); Panasonic DMP-BDT220 3-D Blu-ray player; LG BD-360 all-region Blu-ray player; Denon AVE-E200 5.1 Surround receiver. All aspect ratios are physically measured on the Panasonic screen, which has been set to eliminate overscan.MIGHTY APHRODITE (1995)LABEL: Smile EntertainmentCOUNTRY OF ORIGIN: SwedenREGION: All-Region, confirmedASPECT RATIO: 1.78:1C/BW: ColorSOUND: Supposedly Dolby Digital Stereo, but this is a Woody Allen disc, so....2.0 mono.SUBTITLES: Danish, Finnish, Norwegian, Swedish BONUS MATERIAL: Uh-uh.CHAPTERS: 14If you’ve not seen this film yet (or, even if you have), you’re in for a treat. Mira Sorvino won a Best Supporting Actress Oscar for this, and very deservedly so. She is beyond hilarious, yet manages to create a fully-dimensional and sympathetic character.The disc looks and sounds excellent, Color including flesh tones are true. There is what I would say is an accurate retention of grain, and the image is film-like. Contrast, black levels and shadow detail very acceptable. I see no DNR or edge enhancement.When first loaded, you have a choice of subtitles, but not the option to have none. You have to remove the subtitles using your remote. Movie begins immediately after that.The disc is housed in a somewhat thicker Blu-ray case than those provided us in the U.S.This review was made possible with the help of www.DaaVeeDee.com

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Totally agree, I have this BD and it is quite wonderful, colorful and sharp with nice grain as stated. Thank you Dick and thank you Sweden. Just please send us MORE!

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
I'll have to search for this one. Or maybe it'll be given an Australian release. It's one of my very favourite woody Allen movies and Mia is just sensational.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks