What's new

Euro 2004 (1 Viewer)

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Watching England - Portugal right now, what a game! Full speed from beginning to end of the first overtime half. Looks like England will win if they can keep the pressure up a little longer.

Let's hope it doesn't go to penalty kicks...

/Mike

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Portugal won 8-7 after penalty kicks (2-2 after overtime)... a shame to have to settle it with that.

I couldn't believe Beckham's penalty kick! That was so bad... I just laughed. Incredible.

Great game though, felt like an instant classic.

/Mike

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Portugal won 8-7 after penalty kicks (2-2 after overtime)... a shame to have to settle it with that.

I couldn't believe Beckham's penalty kick! That was so bad... I just laughed. Incredible.

Great game though, felt like an instant classic.

/Mike

Jonathan White

Stunt Coordinator
Bugger!

The ball moved just before Beckham took his penalty. I think it might of done also for Rui Costa when he missed his for Portugal

Penalties again :angry: I cannot believe it.

I hope Portugal now go on to win it......what a game.

Jonathan White

Stunt Coordinator
Bugger!

The ball moved just before Beckham took his penalty. I think it might of done also for Rui Costa when he missed his for Portugal

Penalties again :angry: I cannot believe it.

I hope Portugal now go on to win it......what a game.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member

That's what someone else said too (I didn't see it move though), but that's still just an explanation, not an excuse. WOuldn't he have had the option of stopping and putting the ball back? And considering that most of his time on the field is spent kicking balls that are in motion, you'd think that wouldn't be that much of a problem. ;)

MickeS

Senior HTF Member

That's what someone else said too (I didn't see it move though), but that's still just an explanation, not an excuse. WOuldn't he have had the option of stopping and putting the ball back? And considering that most of his time on the field is spent kicking balls that are in motion, you'd think that wouldn't be that much of a problem. ;)

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
Man, I wish I wasn't such a cheap bastard. I've read about all of the games, but just haven't been willing to fork over the $$$ for the pleasure of seeing 'em. Germany, Italy and England all out. Wow. I'd like to see Greece take down Les Bleu.

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
Man, I wish I wasn't such a cheap bastard. I've read about all of the games, but just haven't been willing to fork over the $$$ for the pleasure of seeing 'em. Germany, Italy and England all out. Wow. I'd like to see Greece take down Les Bleu.

Jonathan White

Stunt Coordinator

It literally just moved as he was kicking it. When he planted his standing foot next to the ball it dislodged some sand, which moved the ball. Apparently Sven had been complaining to UEFA about the state of the penalaty spots prior to the game. So if he was aware they were poor, so were the players and Beckham should have taken this into account. Beckham was a crap for the whole of the tournament, he should have been subbed in this game. Figo was not playing well and Big Phil subbed him. Good managers are not afraid to make hard decisions.

david stark

Second Unit

If Sven knew about the state of the penalty spots then Beckham should have known as well (and as he placed the ball he should have noted this). If you look at his body position when he is taking the kick he is standing on his left foot and leaning over a lot to the left which means if the ground is not firm he will slip.

This happened against Turkey and it looks as if it happened last night. Thats twice now for someone who is supposed to be world class, he should have altered his style after the Turkey penalty and if he should definitely change it now.

As for losing last night I'm absolutely gutted being an Englishman, but we deserved to lose and with the tactics shown against Portugal and France neutral fans will be glad to see us go. If we had tried to play football for 90 minutes rather than hoof it up and defend after we nicked the first goal I think we would have beaten them by two or three.

DrewSmith

Stunt Coordinator
Just gutted didn't play well but did enough to win, how Sol's goal was disallowed is beyond me.

The slow replay of becks spot kick clearly shows as he planted his foot the ball moved.

Another loss on penalties and no luck on our side.

GUTTED

Matt Harrison

Stunt Coordinator
Gutted beyond belief. We are out because of some stupid referee. Doesnt sound right to me, out of Euro 2004 because a referee bottled it.

Deserved to win aswell. Just looking forward to the world cup now.

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
In all fairness, the major mistake the referee made was that he didn't award a free kick for offside. Check the replay and you'll see Terry was offside at the moment of Owen's header. After that, going for a rebound like Terry did (even when you are missing the ball) is "illegal" offside. Therefor the goal should have been disallowed, although it was disallowed for the wrong reasons.

I was also rooting for the English BTW. A shame about Rooney going off, I think they would have made it with him. And the fact that Rooney was 'awarded' a free kick against him when that Portugese defender broke his foot because he lost his shoe in the process..... :thumbsdown:

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Looking at the reruns of the disallowed goal, it's pretty clear that it wasn't exactly an incorrect call. However, I don't think anyone would have protested had the goal been allowed.

:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks