What's new

Eureka Season 3 (1 Viewer)

Joe_H

Screenwriter

Yeah that's exactly it.

Also, in this case, the actor came to them and said he wanted off, and so they came up with a very fair way of doing it, as far as I'm concerned. It worked perfectly, and was one of the best episodes ever.

And... at least we know they won't try to pull of the clone idea again, since that already happened in the second episode. ;)

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
According to the article Ed Quinn wanted to leave the series. Maybe the producers are leaving the option open in case he wants to return, but it won't happen this season. I think the future episodes will focus on what Eva Thorne is up to and how they can stop whatever she is planning.

Shawn Shultzaberger

Supporting Actor
Count me in as part of the "disliked Stark in the beginning, but grew to love the banter between him and Carter" group.

The ending of this show really touched me. I wasn't quite ready for it. I will definitely miss this character. :frowning:

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I just listened to the podcast for the third episode of the season - Best in Faux. Things that stood out:

It took many hours and days to make a dog explosion - one of the executive producers said, "If I don't laugh ... it's not working for me."
The inside of the tunnel digger was a Battlestar Galactica viper.
They tried to find a wedding dress that looked bad on Salli, but they couldn't find one - she just looked too good. They had to add some things to make it look more humorous.
They discuss that the episode ran a minute long and how it is better that way, so they can tighten things up.
The theme of the episode is Pressure.
They used an actual mine outside of Vancouver. They were told that whatever shoes they wore in would end up being permanently stained red.

Neil

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
An interesting entry about"Show Me the Mummy" at EUREKA unscripted

I thought it was a fun episode. I was thinking that the logic diamond might come into play with the mummy resolution, but it was just used to help bring some closure to Allison and provide some extra spookiness to the episode. I thought that Fargo's reaction to the hologram was great.

Neil

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I finally had the chance to listen to the "I Do Over" podcast. I thought it was very interesting. They talk about various things they did to make the show interesting even though we are seeing the same day five times. Everyone was very pleased with the casting of Carter's sister - she even has some physical resemblance to Colin's actual sister. There was a storyline about Colin's being allergic to cats, but it didn't translate (from the script) well so it was removed.

The line, "You know, I'll be there for you, no matter what" was the inspiration for the episode. This is the linchpin of why they are repeating this day. They chose the shower as the start of each day as it is visually significant and gives that slap in the face of cold water.

Their contract with Degree had them get two shots of it in the episode.

There was more comedy in the episode in the script, but it became more dramatic in the course of editing.

Everyone was asked to chose a physical movement that they would remember to do each time through. There is a larger rip in the universe each time through. In the day where Carter and Weinbrenner are mostly together and he is teaching Carter, they messed up the clocks a bit. I wasn't sure from listening whether they felt they fixed it up in the editing or whether it was still messed up when all was done.

They do refer to Stark saying his "ego was bigger than the building" in the end even though it is on a day that Carter doesn't say it. They say this bit was a little easter egg for people.

There is more and I'm sure it would be even more interesting if you were watching the episode along with the podcast commentary.

Neil

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Captain Eureka, indeed. Cute episode with some nice, heartwarming ("It's not the suit.") touches. I'm also glad that Chuck didn't end up sacrificing himself by donning the supersuit one more time to save the plucky teenagers. Introducing a flawed character who, with the best of intentions, causes a ruckus and then must sacrifice himself to fix things seems to be a well-worh formula with this show. I'm glad they did something different this time.

Of course, I can't let it go by without asking how the "Phase Inducer" (chest plate thingy) can allow someone to walk through walls without causing him to fall to the center of the Earth. Carter was told to walk as quickly as possible through the walls, but how does he do that once he's out of phase? What does he push against to overcome the apparent resistance of the wall?

Roger_R

Second Unit
The phase inducer was obviously directional.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
This is one of those shows that I just "go with the flow" and not try to think logically.

KevinGress

Supporting Actor
Every show that's done the 'out of phase' storyline always seems to overlook that issue - Star Trek TNG, Stargate SG-1, etc.

I guess they could try to say something like 'well, walls, floors, etc. do offer resistance, so the difference is that Carter was 'pushing into' the wall as opposed to 'pushing against the floor'. That's why he was able to basically stay on one level. Weak, to be sure, but better than nothing.

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
True enough. But I'll give a pass to Eureka since it's a quirky comedy-drama that makes no pretense of using "Sciency Stuff" as nothing more than a plot device. Trek, on the other hand, is swimming in pretense and should be more mindful. Still, I think it makes for a fun discussion. I don't, however, think less of the show (Eureka) because of it. (Trek is another matter. ;))

I also wanted to mention how much I enjoyed the B-plot with Carter's sister and her change of heart regarding the difficulties of parenthood. She at first ascribed to children the instinct and capability of wild animals which, if left to their own, will take care of themselves just fine. But at the same time, she believed Zoey capable of running away in defiant anger -- something Carter (good for him!) rejected outright. When the two views finally hit her as being contradictory and what the consequences could be for the kids if parents fail to make at least some decisions for them, it was touching.

And Carter, though he was right to think that he should make some decisions for Zoey, learned that Zoey is able to think more like an adult than he first thought. It was a growing experience for both of them, and the writers handled it extremely well.

(Although, personally, if my daughter had had the maturity to have arranged matters with her teachers and obtained their permission the way Zoey did, I would have let her go. But that's just me.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
)

Jeff Brooks

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff Brooks
Does anyone else think that Frances Fisher just does not seem like she belongs on this type of show? I can't quite put my finger on it as to whether it is her character or her acting that just does not seem quite right.

Joe_H

Screenwriter

Wasn't there an episode where Henry gave a huge speech, that everyone was watching on little tiny screens in their hands or something, and then in a later episode Beverly used the system to give an address?

I guess I incorrectly assumed that it was like a mayor type address or something, I don't know.

Will_C

Second Unit
Real Name
Will
You know, the deodorant advertising placement didn't really bother me before. But on last night's episode ... damn it was just in your face. I hope they tone it back down in future eps.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks