What's new

Eudora users (1 Viewer)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I am running Eudora 5.1 on an MS Exchange IMAP server here at work, and occasionally I have syncro problems where Eudora will download a whole new set of received email messages so I get duplicates. What is the best way to get rid of them besides manually deleting them? Is there a good way to remove the email somehow and then get Eudora to "resyncronica" because doing the "resynchronize" from the menu options doesn't seem to do a thing.

Jay

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
If you want to completely delete your mailboxes, look for the .MBX and .TOC files in whichever directory you've chosen to store your files. Move them to another directory (or delete them if you're feeling adventurous enough) then go back into Eudora. There will be no files, so Eudora should rebuild them.

Yesa, IMAP is better in most circumstances, but if you're having syncronization problems, is POP3 (while leaving mail on the server) available to you?

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Nope, at home, my ISP is a POP3 server but at work, I'm going rogue and using Eudora with the Exchange servers here. The official company line and policy is Outlook which I despise so I have installed Eudora and I use it. I've taken some flak about it (from CSC) and I obviously do my own tech support but ever since we outsourced our IT to CSC, they're worthless anyway. I've tried to get backups from them and it takes them 3+ weeks at which I have determined it is faster and easier simply to redo stuff rather than rely on them.

I tried to delete the LMOS.DAT file but it seems that is only used for POP servers, I'll go try those files...

Jay

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
For what it's worth, I had a lot of good luck with Mozilla's e-mail client connected to the IMAP server at my previous workplace. I don't like it as much as Eudora but it sure as hell beat using Outlook, not that that's difficult to do.

Seth--L

Screenwriter
Some questions: How often does this happen, and how long after downloading the originals do you get the dupes. Is the timetable random or is there more or less some consistency?

Yeah, Outlook is a dog of a problem. One of the few smart tech things my university has done is made Eudora the official email program. All students and professors are given copies of it at the beginning of the year.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Doesn't happen often at all, for some reason today, when I logged on, I got duplicates in one of my mailboxes that I setup for outside mail (non work related). I have filters setup for that and that mailbox got corrupted somehow (perhaps IT was doin work on the IMAP server or something) and that folder when I logged on had duplicate messages.

I've had duplicate messages with POP servers but I do remember doing something like what John says but that was awhile ago.

Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks