Ethernet card question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Lawrence, Sep 23, 2002.

1. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Producer

Brian
    I used to have a cable modem Internet connection. When I dumped the cable connection to Cox. I removed the ethernet card from my computer, and I may or may not have deleted the driver information?

Tomorrow I will be getting DSL service so I plugged the ethernet card back in, but I do not know if it is ready to go or not.

How do I check to see if it's properly connected and whether or not I still have the drivers installed on my computer??

2. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Which OS are you running? Chances are the drivers are still there so it should have autodetected it ok. There's several ways to check to see if its there or not but one of the ways is to simply right click on the My Computer icon on your desktop and choose properties. This will bring up a window with tabs on it...choose hardware. This depending on your OS will allow you either see the devices installed on your PC or you'll have to first click click device manager (Win2000 and XP) Now you should see a device tree listing all the hardware installed on your PC. If you see something called Network Adapters click on the plus sign to expand that exposing the network card. Assuming there's no red "X" or yellow exclimation marks beside it you know its installed properly.

3. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Producer

Brian
    I'm running on Windows 95.
    I tried that and am not sure what the results are. The ethernet card was physically labled with a sticker as being a "Soho-fast" brand or something like that but my listings under Network adapters are
    -Dial-Up adapter
    -Dial-Up adapter #2 (VPN support)
    -Microsoft Virtual Private Networking adapter
    -Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC
    The last one would seem to be what I am looking for. Maybe that's it and "Sohofast" is just a manufactures name?

4. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

The last one is the network card...a lot of D-Link cards show up as Realtek's. Assuming there's no red "X" or anything it looks like you're ready for DSL.

5. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Producer

Brian
    Cool. Thanks for the help [​IMG]