Ethernet Cable splitter/hub questions...

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Jemi, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Jemi

Jemi Extra

I have a router connecting my basement computer to the internet, but I also want to connect my PS2's (which is also in the basement) network adapter to the network through a wire (wireless access points for consoles are too expensive, and I don't know if the one I get now will work for PS3/Rev if the PS3/Rev's integrated WAP ever goes awry on me).

Is there such thing as a splitter for ethernet connections, like how a coaxial cable splitter splits cable connections? I have 4 6-foot ethernet cables that I want to conjoin with 4 splitters or hubs if that's what I'd need (1 for the input connection from the ethernet cable coming from my router, the other 3 to connect the other ends of the 4 other ethernet cables). Would I be able to do this with such a splitter (or hub, you tell me, please)?

The last question is can I do this [splitting] to ONE of the router's connections, and it'll still work? I don't have another ethernet cable long enough (100ft) to connect from just the router directly to the PS2.

Please tell me where to buy these splitters/hubs if I can do this, or tell me where to get a well-priced 100ft ethernet cable if I won't be able to do this to one of my router's connections/clients. ALSO if I CAN do the hub/splitter option, tell me which would be cheaper: getting another 100ft cable, the splitters/hubs, or just a cheap WAP that would work well.

BTW my router is the Linksys BEFW11S4 and it's wired+wireless, and just in case, the ethernet cable I'm talking about is the normal CAT5 non-crossover type.

Thank you so much.

2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

What you're looking for is a switch such as the Linksys EG0801W gigabit switch. I would personally get a gigabit switch so that it will be more "future-proof", but you could get a 10/100 switch if you'd rather.

You'll just run a cable from you router to the switch and then you can plug devices into the switch.

3. Rommel_L

Rommel_L Second Unit

Jemi,

If I got your post right, you only have one computer and one PS2 connected to the router. If that's the case, just buy a 100ft. Cat5e for your PS2. It would be more wasteful to buy a splitter/hub/repeater so you would be able to use the four 6ft. cables. Just remember on the settings on both the computer and PS2 to use the 100MB full duplex option.

And in regards to your other question, you cannot split the signal like a coax cable. That's what routers and hubs are for.

Rommel

4. Jemi

Jemi Extra

Wait... the way both of you answered my question, even if I got the switch, I'd have to get a 100ft cable, this is why:

I can only hook my router upstairs b/c that's where the only available telephone line is. 2 computers and a network HP photosmart 2610 printer are hooked up to the router (which is right on the bottom of my desktop's desk). I run a 100 foot ethernet CAT5 downstairs to my basement for internet access on that computer.

Wait... after going through my layout/infrastructure again, SethH's reply seems most feasible now. From that 100 footer from the router to the basement, I could hook up the switch to THAT! Is this true? I'll just get the smallest (aka cheapest) switch I can, since according to SethH it can split that router connection into however many split connections there are connected to the switch (the latter part is my guess).

So, can you please give me a link to a cheap at least 2-port switch that I can buy around the Sterling Heights, Michigan area? I don't want to wait some week or two for shipping... it's my Christmas break right now!

Thanks, you guys are always the best.

EDIT: WAIT! I forgot the cost of 3 hubs to physically connect the 4 6-ft CAT5s!!!! Omg, if the total price of the switch and hubs is more than 100ft of ethernet, I should just get 100ft of ethernet or a WAP.

PLEASE tell me which of the 3 options I should get now... hopefully you are all clarified on my situation and can choose which of the 3 I should get now! And remember, if I get a WAP, I want it to be future proof if possible still! TY

5. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

You're confusing me here, but... to recap:

- router upstairs
    - one port free on the router?

Pull one long cable from there to the basement.

In the basement, set up a cheap 10/100 ethernet switch, something like this Linksys, but there are plenty of other affordable options. They sell these things in just about any computer store on the planet for peanuts.

This gives you 7 free ports on the switch (one will be used for the uplink to the router) into which you can plug 7 devices. Just plug those PS2's into a free port on the switch with a standard ethernet cable.

You then need to set up your PS2's so they have your routers IP address as their gateway (and if the router is set up as a DHCP server, ie it automatically assigns IP addresses to gear that gets hooked up to the network, you don't need to do a thing except plug the PS2's in and make sure they're set up to pick up an address automatically.)

That's it. Simple and requires little to no configuration.

6. Jemi

Jemi Extra

Alright, that's great, I'll see how much it costs.

Now, for the actual cable connecting my PS2 to this switch... I don't HAVE one long enough (I'd need a 20+ footer), only 4 6-foot ones that I want to connect to eachother as one long one.

Would it be cheaper to buy 3 small hubs just to connect them, or simply get a 20-footer with the switch?

7. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Don't buy 3 hubs. You could go to Radio Shack and purchase a little adapter that connects two ethernet cables together, but I would just go purchase a 20' cable.

And as mentioned, you could easily do this with wireless for under $100.

8. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

Ah, those four 6-footers are what I didn't quite grasp, maybe because English isn't my first language or possibly because what you were asking about didn't make sense to me. Anyway, chaining up a set of short cables into one long one is a bad idea. Put those away somewhere and keep them on hand for future need.

It will be much easier for you (and give you a more reliable result) to just buy one long cable and keep those 6-footers as spares. Long ethernet cables can be had for a few bucks.

In fact, if you are going to connect just one PS2, you could in theory just connect one long cable from the upstairs router directly to the PS2, assuming the cable was long enough, you don't really need a switch for just one device.