What's new

ETF software questions (1 Viewer)

AndyDC

Agent
I'm having a tough time trying out the ETF software on my Win98SE/Create Soundblaster Audigy setup. So three questions:

1. Does someone have an updated link to a help guide from an HTF member that was mentioned several times in the past but which seems broken? The link is/was www27.brinkster.com/jmag999/

2. Does someone have a link to a RadioShack SPL/mic calibration file?

3. My most complicated question: I can't seem to set the mixer properly. First, the built-in mixer that comes with the ETF 5.x software (a beta, I guess) doesn't work. I get an error message and there are no choices in the mixer dialog box. When I switch to the default mixers, I try to set it to correspond with the help. I run from line out to line in on both the left and right channels, with standard a/v cables. But I cannot pass the step of the setup where I run the sound level check with and without connections established. Whichever way I set the mixer, either there is no sound (i.e. like -79db) on both the left and right channels or some amount (e.g. -2 db) that responds to the setting of the recording level on the mixer. However, in the cases where I get a measurable db level, it does not go away when I unplug the connection between the line out and the line in of the card! It could be "leakage" inside the card, as the help file implies, but I have the feeling it is rather an incorrect mixer setting. Can someone tell me specifically what to select and what to mute for the Audigy/Win98SE? I've played around a lot and nothing seems to work.

Thanks!

Andy

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Sonny (Sonnie?) Parker has a thread (and personal web site) somewhere that has the cal numbers.

If you go through the ETF help files and tutorials and stuff, just as helpful as the brinkster link.

AndyDC

Agent
Thanks.

I'm good to go on the BFD (I've got their computer program working too; it's great). I was being lazy about the .cal program, since I've used the adjustment factors referenced in that web site for my by-hand and Spectraplus calculations. I did wonder about the phase adjustment part of the calibration file for ETF, though, for which there's no information in those links.

Mainly, I'm having problems with ETF setup specifically.

DavidES

Stunt Coordinator
I have exact same setup except I use Audigy 2 .283 drivers through hacked drivers inf files which BTW give much better performance than the last "official" drivers, but that's another story.

Open Creative Surround Mixer, then where the REC slider is you need to change that input from "What You Hear" to "Analog Mix (Line/CD/Aux/TAD/PC)" then mute EVERY input except "Line In" to reduce signal contamination. Also put the Bass and Treble sliders to 50% and turn off any CMSS and EAX effects and power to your computer speakers.

If you hover mouse pointer over sliders it give 'xx %' in the tool tip that pops up. I set my Line IN and REC to 82% then slide up Main Volume to about 79%. That gave me sufficient input level. The Main Volume does affect ETF.
Don't max out any sliders though as it causes the card to be overloaded.

Now the ratshack meter will need to read almost full scale on whatever "xx dB" scale you will use for adequate output so use Slow and C-weighted. "Slow" to help protect meter movement from pegging fast and C-weighted to allow full bandwidth measurements - that A/C setting does affect the Line out of meter. The Slow/Fast doesn't affect output only the meter movement.

The Full Duplex and the initial setup of the Test CD testing methods can cause ground loops so you'll need cheater plugs on BFD and any other grounded plugs on a/v equipment, but NOT on your computer. Ground is needed for the computer power supply and motherboard to help prevent hardware crashes. If you have a cable modem and CATV, you might want to disconnect the incoming cable from the splitter if it causes a ground loop in whichever testing method you choose.

The test cd files are downloadable free from ETF site and you need to read the help file very closely. I found that the Test CD method to be much easier since I didn't have all the cables that the Full Duplex method requires.

The noise of the computer fans will contaminate your readings. I had to put mine in another room and run a very long cord to meter.

Compensation info on page 4 of this pdf file. The positive comp. numbers in pdf chart are entered negative in the cal file and vice versa. You can add the numbers from 10 to 500 Hz to ETF's RSAnalogueSPL.cal file by following the correct exact format. Don't worry about the third column which is ETF's mic phase response. I can e-mail you a copy of mine if you want it to save time and hassle. It's only 22Kbytes.

Hope this helps ya.

AndyDC

Agent
David, I'm being lazy but it would be great if you could e-mail me your RS compensation file.

I have a feeling I may e-mail you again about specific problems, since you have the same setup. I remember you used to use Spectraplus. Why did you switch?

DavidES

Stunt Coordinator
I found out how much they wanted for it, around $300.
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif
It's worth it but not on my macaroni and cheese budget. YGPM Andy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks