What's new

ETF owners cable help please! (1 Viewer)

Steve Morgan

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
I do not want to move my computer to my HT room so I need a 25ft. cable and a 40ft. cable.Do I need a mini stereo plug to RCA to connect to my amp and the RS meter or a Mini mono plug. This is to connect to computer sound card or computer. The 25ft. is to the RS meter on Tripod, the 40 ft. is to the amps.

Thanks, Steve

Guy Kuo

Supporting Actor
You don't want to move it, but I would pretty strongly suggest you do so. That would at ensure that the computer is on the same AC power phase as the home theater system. If they aren't on the same phase you'll pick up a great deal of noise. Even if on the same phase, the long lines aren't going to be that good for noise and you'll still have an interesting time reading the screen while making adjustments. It's a pain, but I move my desktop.

Steve Morgan

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Thanks Guy it is worthy of thought but you still didn't answer my connection question. Do I use mono or stereo 1/8" plugs for the cables?

Thanks,

Steve

BruceD

Screenwriter
Steve,

It depends on your PC Soundcard (which needs Full-duplex capability - send and receive at the same time).

If you have stereo 1/8" mini phone plug on your card (as I do on my notebook) then you need qty=2 stereo male mini-phone to dual female RCA "adapters".

Connect an RCA-to-RCA IC to the left channel LINE-IN on the "adapter" and then to the RS SPL meter's RCA LINE-OUT (this is a line level preamp output not a mic output).

Connect an RCA-to-RCA IC to the left channel LINE-OUT on the "adapter" and the LINE-IN on your amp (or preamp) for the channel (speaker) you want to test.

Connect an RCA-to-RCA IC from the right channel LINE-OUT to the right channel LINE-IN on the "adapter" (simply a loop from output to input) this is used to correct for your soundcards specific characteristics.

BruceD

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks