What's new

Eternal Darkness (1 Viewer)

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Just rented this, and am I the only one who tried to keep their sanity as low as possible most of the time (especially in the present). One of the best things about this game is the hallucinations, and I really think that they made it far too easy to recover sanity in this game. Otherwise a great game that really deserves more attention. Unfortunately, I think that being a gamecube game might hurt it's potential (I'd have bought this for Xbox in a second). Anyone seen any numbers as to how it's doing?

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The game gets tougher as you go along, but it never gets too tough. Sanity starts to get harder to keep up, and you also lose life if you lose your sanity.

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
No idea, hopefully well enough to produce a sequel that doesn't take quite so long to come out. The thing I like most about ED is its stellar attention to its historical accuracy (within reason, naturally). I'd love for another one to come out that deals with a separate plot played out once more through the ages. So many great eras of history untouched.

I think saying that being on the GameCube hurt its potential is a bit much though. But, that's veering into System Wars nonsense that I don't think we need to get into.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
I think saying that being on the GameCube hurt its potential is a bit much though. But, that's veering into System Wars nonsense that I don't think we need to get into.
Very true that we don't need to get into that nonsense. To clarify, I thought that technically the game was fine (graphics, sound etc.)-the game just doesn't seem to sync with the typical gamecube demographic very well. Is there any sort of affiliation between Silicon Knights and Nintendo? I know that ED was going to be an N64 game, but beyond that I don't know of any ties between the companies.

Steven_V

Stunt Coordinator
Silicon Knights is currently an exclusive 2nd party developer for Nintendo. As for Eternal Darkness not fitting the Nintendo mold, Nintendo just needs to keep releasing great "mature themed" games to shed the "kiddy" image. With the release of Resident Evil and Eternal Darkness plus the upcoming Resident Evil 0 and Metroid Prime, Nintendo seems to be going in the right direction.

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
I sincerely doubt Metroid will be a rated M game. I wouldn't be surprised if it earned a T rating though. Even Super Smash Bros. Melee got a T rating. I could only see Metroid Prime getting an M is if there is a lot of gore in the violence, and I have not seen any such thing in movies or screen shots.

Regardless, I think that Metroid will indeed satisfy a lot of older gamers as well as the younger crowd. The dark, moody atmosphere of the Metroid games will attract it to a slightly older crowd.

As for Eternal Darkness, I thoroughly loved every minute of that game. Sure, it doesn't have a lot of replay value aside from playing it three times to get the uber ending (and even then I don't think it's worth the extra effort). However, it's so well-crafted that I cannot help but respect it.

Chris, I can guarantee you that you are not the only one who has deliberately kept the sanity meter as low as possible to see the hallucinations. I know I did it. I know many of the members here did also. Just be sure to keep it as low as possible during the chapter where you play as the Priest. There's a really good hallucination on that one.

JohnE

Supporting Actor
I've enjoyed what I've played of the game so far, but...damn, do we ever get to fight anyuthing but skeletons in tunnels? I'm about four levels into this and I have to admit I'm starting to get bored.:frowning: Please, someone tell me it gets better.

Paul Richardson

Second Unit
Actually, I think the Gamecube was the perfect arena for the game. It would have been "lost in the shuffle" on one of the other consoles. Sometimes it's good to have a solid title that breaks an image. Of course, with the Gamecube being the new home of Resident Evil, perhaps the game fits right in the mold.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Actually, I think that being the new home of Resident Evil isn't all that it's cracked up to be. I got bored with the RE games after RE2, and Eternal Darkness was a great redefinition of the genre. The combat was far more reasonable (no more running out of ammo way too quickly), and there seemed to be more of a focus on atmosphere and story than on things jumping out at you.

That being said though, did anyone find that the puzzles in this game were way too easy? The game definitely had a storyline that catered to mature gamers, but the puzzles seemed to be far too simplistic. I'd really like to see a sequel with more of a puzzle focus (like some of the great adventure games of years past). That, and more insanity (it seemed far too easy to regain your sanity-it should have been a more valuable commodity). A great first effort though, and hopefully there will be a sequel that takes this game to its full potential from a very good game to a truly great game.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I picked up ED at lunch (and NCAA Football & Turok) and plan on playing tonight and tomorrow so I can avoid all the September 11 coverage (I don't need to relive it).

Tom Fudold

Stunt Coordinator
Eternal Darkness was a great game, I really enjoyed the whole thing, Anthony, and the fireman, some really great levels there. I HATED that part where you had to go to the 9 different gates... that took forever and slowed the game down, in my opinion. But all and all, I loved it.
To touch on the original question Chris asked, about how it was selling. I have to think where, it was either in Gamespotting on www.gamespot.com or on the Cubisms, on Link Removed but somewhere in there they commented on how was too bad it didn't sell like they thought it would. Something along of line of no one really noticing it due to the "kiddy" image Nintendo will forever be branded with. They can't seem to ever shake that.
Sorry for not having the exact reference, but's it's one of those 2 sites.
Tom

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation483
Recent bookmarks