ET is $14.87 at Walmart

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Roberto Carlo, Oct 22, 2002.

1. Roberto Carlo

Roberto Carlo Second Unit

Like I said. It was marked $18.95, but rang up at $14.87.

2. Michael Henry

Michael Henry Second Unit

J. Michael Henry
    But, do they carry the widescreen version?

3. Scott Pagac

Scott Pagac Stunt Coordinator

I just confirmed the Walmart price, and yes, they do carry the Widescreen version. There is an oval sticker on each unit. The yellow is Fullscreen and the red is Widescreen. Picked mine up on the way to work this morning and got it for $15.63 with tax.

Thanks for the heads-up, Roberto.

4. Scott Shanks

Scott Shanks Second Unit

Scott Shanks
    KMart did not have any Widescreen copies. Target price matched KMart's ad for $14.95.

5. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

I hit one of the new "Wal-Mart Neighborhood Store" locations (basicly a grocery store version of Wal-Mart meant to complete with Kroger, etc. - yet with a self-serve Home Video section decently stocked with the hottest/newest DVDs and tapes).
    I expected them to have E.T. rather prominently, even when I stopped in on the way to work at 6 AM. Nope. I was told that they got in Mr. Deeds, but no E.T.!
    [​IMG]
    I was told to go to the nearby Wal-Mart Supercenter. I'll hit them on they way home. Or Target. Or Best Buy. Or Circuit City.
    SOMEone will match K-Mart's price for me, and get me a WS copy! Or 3. Hey, Christmas IS coming!

6. todbnla

todbnla Screenwriter

Todd
    Look for the ET display with Mr Deeds up front by the Entrance, NOT in the DVD section, they only had one or two loose, misplaced, copies in the dvd area, PLENTY by the entrance display though.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    FWIW-Kmart Sucks[​IMG] I went there first only to find they ONLY had the P/S version and when I asked about widescreen the old bitty answered me like I was asking her to frame a house for me!
    David,
    Need a copy, PLMK I will get one for you, NO problemo!

7. David Lambert

My $25 copy of the 3-disc set from Suncoast was left on my doorstep at 9:08 AM local time.
    On the way home, I stopped at the Wal-Mart supercenter and picked up 3 widescreen versions of the 2-disc set for $14.87 each. Some of our friends will have a very merry Christmas... [​IMG]
    Todd, thank you for your offer!! No need, though. :wink:

8. Matthew Furtek

Matthew Furtek Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the heads up. I'm not sure if DDD shipped my gift set that I ordered oh so many moons ago. Last time I checked, it was still in the computer but I didn't get a shipping notification or nothing, so I guess I didn't get it.

Looks like I've now found my new source for cheap widescreen DVDs. If I hadn't preordered some others I would have picked them all up at Wal-Mart.

Matthew Furtek

9. Joseph Hansen

Joseph Hansen Stunt Coordinator

Is this the original theater release, or the re-release from this last year? I want the original; I have no use for the new one.

Joseph

10. David Lambert

Joseph: you cannot buy any ET package on DVD without getting both the 1982 and 2002 versions at the same time.

There has been an ongoing official thread to this effect for a couple of weeks now in the HTF Software section, and numerous other threads besides, so if you need more info just do a search. This has been discussed to death, so I won't go into details right here. Cheers,

11. Joseph Hansen

David,

Thanks for the info. Somehow, I missed the discussion in the Software section. Next time, I'll open my eyes when I read the posts!

Joseph

12. David_Jr

David_Jr Supporting Actor

Dave
    I was in the neighborhood of K-mart, about 30 miles from my house so I stopped to get ET and Mr. Deeds. Looked for a display up front, but none was there. Went to the electronics section and found a display there of about 50 ET, picked through to find one with no blemishes and headed off to look for Mr. Deeds. Found Mr. Deeds and picked it up only to realize that I had the Fulscreen version in my hand. Widescreens were in the next row over. I grabbed a WS instead and then casually glanced at the ET in my other hand and noticed that it too was FS. Went back to the display and discovered that they were ALL FS. I asked the lady at the display where they kept the WS hidden. She said that is all they got. I said, "You don't have any in the back?" She said no. I told her that i wouldn't buy the FS version if she put a gun to my head and I couldn't believe that anyone else would either. She said, "Well not all of us have a big widescreen TV." I put the ET back and Mr. Deeds as I am not going to support that store because of that policy. Went to the Walmart a few miles from there expecting to get them to pricematch. Went in and to my surprise they had ET and Mr. Deeds marked $14.87 DVD, $14.95 VHS. Not only that, but they had plenty of the WS versions.

13. Don_Houle

Don_Houle Stunt Coordinator

Don
    No problem finding the Widescreen 2 disk set for $14.87 at my local Walmart! I was a little surprised that they had the WS versions prominently displayed right near the entrance.

14. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    I called all my local K-Marts (amazing how many of them there are!), and they all said they had only the fullscreen ET. (The explanation was that that's what the manufacturer sends them.)

Interestingly, the only K-Mart employee who went beyond "we only have the fullscreen version" was an elderly-sounding woman who said that she prefers the widescreen version too! She mentioned that they had both versions of Mr. Deeds, but the widescreen was sold out--this was 11 am on Tuesday!

I then went to Wal-Mart. The ET display was right outside the electronics section. Inside the electronics section, I also picked up Dragon Inn (The Tai Seng US release with a Ric Meyers commentary) for about $12.97, if anyone's looking for that.

15. Joseph Hansen

Got the last widescreen at my Wal-Mart. K-Mart had a zillion full-screen copies, and even Wal-Mart had some of these left. Had to search to find anything at Wal-Mart, though; there was not an ET display anywhere in the store.

Glad it has the 1982 version, too (thanks to all who straightened me out on the question of which version was included). That is worth the 15 bucks. I wouldn't have bought it if it was only the 2002 version, but it will be interesting to compare the two.

Joseph

16. Jeff D

Jeff D Supporting Actor

I had to dig through all the other discs in the Walmart in Mt View, CA. They were there, just hidden.

Now to see if k-mart honors the $25 3 disc version.

BTW how does the DTS track sound? I'm curious because the 3 disc version has no DTS, right?

17. Eric_P

Eric_P Extra

Jeff D,
    I went to the very same Wal-Mart today to pick up my copy.[​IMG]
    Having bought Lord of the Rings there and experiencing searching for it before.. I knew the WS version would not be up where the display was..
    I found my copy of E.T. right away over in the section by the Disney VHS videos in the back.. on the opposite side of where all the normal DVDs are. There were plenty there.

18. Jeff D

Jeff D Supporting Actor

Eric, I may have helped you out, I moved a few of the red tagged items to the front. But, I guess you know to dig too.

Funny that they put the discs around the back with the VHS tapes. I'm glad I made a second pass otherwise I would have never seen them.

19. Paul_Nyman

Paul_Nyman Second Unit

[​IMG]
    I spoke to my neighbor who frequents this website last night and appearantly Wal-Mart sold E.T. @ $14.87 earlier in the week, as of today Friday it now is shelf priced @ 21.42, either Fullscreen or Widescreen DVD's. My neighbor bought three of the 2 Disc sets as early Christmas stocking stuffers, plus one copy for himeslf. He found out that his relatives already own it on DVD now. He went back to Wal-Mart this morning to return the other two copies and some
    cashier refunded his credit card for the full $21.42 price, so now he has a bonus free copy at home because of the Wal-Mart promotion, wish I had heard of all this earlier. WHAT A DEAL!!!