What's new

ET Get's PG (Originally G) Rating In Australia For Upcoming 20th Anni. Release (1 Viewer)

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
March 6, 2002

UIP questions new rating for 'E.T.' Aussie re-release

March 06, 2002

From Hollywood Reporter:

MELBOURNE, Australia -- Controversy has erupted over the rating of "E.T. the Extra Terrestrial (20th Anniversary Edition)," which is being released in Australian cinemas over the upcoming Easter vacation. On its original release in 1982, "E.T." received a G classification, a category that refers to material deemed suitable to all viewers. But after considering the 20th anniversary edition, the Office of Film and Literature Classification has rated the film PG, which means that parental guidance is recommended for children under the age of 15. The reason for the change, according to an OFLC news release issued Tuesday, is that "in reflecting contemporary community standards across all classifiable elements of the film, the supernatural themes and language could not be currently accommodated at the G level of classification." The film's distributor, United International Pictures, has described the verdict as "baffling" and has asked that the decision be reviewed. (Lawrie Zion)

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
While I think it should recieve a G rating over here, I don't think it will affect the numbers it brings in. Apart from most people knowing what ET is, the rating PG over here wouldn't affect parents taking there children along, the term "parentel guidance recommended for children under 15" is used very lightly over here, the ticket office at the cinema would let anyone that asked for a ticket in to the cinema without question.

Wasn't this the same country that gave Hannabal a PG rating?
Nope, it originally recieved an MA15+ rating but after a week in release it recieved the highest rating we have R18+, you have to show ID before they will sell a ticket.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Akk I remember was parents were aghast at the ridiculous rating Hannibal received after being reviewed by Australia's ratings board. I thought, what are these people on. I had no idea that they changed it. Thanks for the info Nick.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks