What's new

ET and Widescreen... (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I purchased the Widescreen version of ET and it says widescreen on the disc. But, when I play it. I don't get any bars. Could this be a mistake or is this correct?

Thanks and sorry if this was asked before!

Happy New Year!

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Yes, it is. My player is set up for 16x9. My set is 16x9, but I usually still see the black bars.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
E.T. has an aspect ratio of 1:85, whereas you TV is 1:78 - factoring in overscan, this is why you see no bars. You probably see them mostly on 2:35 material.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
That is what I figured. But, I just wanted to make sure before the disc disappears.

Thanks!

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
FWIW, my Pioneer 533 WS set behaves in the same way.

What I found interesting was that anamorphic DVDs displayed in the set's Full mode (correct for all anamorphic content) with ratios of 1.85, 1.66 and 1.78 show no bars at all.

Obviously. 1.78 should show no bars, but 1.85 should have them top and bottom, while 1.66 should have them on the side.

However, non-anamorphic DVDs of 1.85 (don't know about 1.66)do show small black bars top and bottom (these are viewed in one of the proportional zoom modes).

I am not sure what this means other then the Full mode perhaps blows up the picture somewhat to eliminate all letter/windowbox bars on anything BUT 2.35 and wider titles.

BL

BertFalasco

Supporting Actor
What exactly is anamorphic, it's coincidental that on all the 16x9 discs that I have (1.85:1; 1.78:1) it is attached with anamorphic. Can someone clue me in on why this coincidence occurs?

Thanks

[Bert]

greg_t

Screenwriter
a disc that is anamaphorically, or 16x9 enchanced, will provide 33% more resolution when displayed on a 16x9 widescreen set. A non-anamaphorically enchanced dvd will not provide the additional resolution gain and requires you to use on of the TV's stretch modes to properly display the image.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks