ET: 2-disc vs. Gift Set

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brad Cook, Mar 3, 2003.

1. Brad Cook

Brad Cook Stunt Coordinator

Whenever I get around to picking up E.T. on DVD, I'm considering getting the gift set only because of the longer version of the documentary. Anyone know if that set is worth the extra money for the longer doc? I'm wondering if I should just get the 2-disc one as that's cheaper and both versions should be on moratorium soon, if they haven't gone already.

Anyone happen to know how long retailer supplies will last once they go on moratorium? I assume they will stock up heavily before they go away, but I wasn't sure.

Also, how does the longer doc compare to the one that was out on LD? One of these days I want to get an LD player so that I can pick up stuff that's not available on DVD (such as the longer version of the Jaws doc), and I'm wondering if I'm better off with that doc anyway. I really enjoy a nice, long, insightful doc (like the CE3K one on that great DVD), so I want the best bang for my buck. I really don't care about the soundtrack CD and other stuff that comes with the gift set.

Thanks!

- Brad

2. Bob Muir

Bob Muir Extra

If you're as big a fan of E.T. as you sound, then definitely buy the gift set. Well worth it IMO.

The disks went on moratorium on 12/31/02. Who knows how long they'll last in the stores.

3. Christopher_H

Christopher_H Stunt Coordinator

I would hurry to buy E.T.! From what I remember, this is already on moratorium and the stores only have leftovers from Christmas. I have both sets and I highly recommend the Ultimate Gift Set for the packaging and the book it comes with.

4. Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre Cinematographer

It comes down to this: lower price & DTS vs. higher price & more extra features. I personally don't think a DTS track is essential on a movie that premiered 11 years before the DTS format's debut, but I understand why people want it. Other than the DTS track's omission, the "Ultimate Gift Set" is pretty much perfect in every way. In addition to one of the best collections of supplements I've ever seen, you also get the soundtrack CD and a hardcover book that contains the screenplay.

5. BrianP

BrianP Supporting Actor

I would purchase the Gift Set if you are a big fan of the movie. I did and never regreted it. Too bad you missed out on the Sam Goody and Kmart deals that had the Gift Sets for about $25 last year. But you can purchase them at Amazon.ca for about $48 U.S. and there is a $10 coupon available that would help cover the shipping costs.

Also the Gift Set does have a DTS track but it is only included with the newer 2002 version of the film. The original 1982 release doesn't include DTS track.

6. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

Two Disc:
    - Anamorphic widescreen transfers along with DD and DTS soundtracks on both cuts of the film.
    - 25 minute "Spotlight On Location" production featurette
    - 17 minute "2002 Premiere" production featurette.
    - 17 minute "Reunion" production featurette.
    - Isolated score from 2002 Premiere.
    - 2002 re-release theatrical trailer.
    - Some other small goodies.

Gift Set:
    - Anamorphic widescreen transfers on both cuts of the film.
    - DD and DTS on 2002 Cut, DD on Theatrical Cut.
    - New 50 minute documentary.
    - Edited 40 minute documentary from the two hour documentary on the laserdisc.
    - 17 minute "2002 Premiere" production featurette.
    - 17 minute "Reunion" production featurette.
    - 10 minute "John Williams" production featurette.
    - Isolated score from 2002 Premiere.
    - 2002 re-release theatrical trailer.
    - 1982 theatrical trailer.
    - Some other small goodies along with a hardcover 200+ page book and soundtrack CD.

I own the Gift Set and it is REALLY nice.

7. Brad Cook

Brad Cook Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the info, everyone. So it sounds like the gift set is the way to go, especially since it has part of the doc from the LD. I love that stuff.

Unfortunately, I don't have the $$ to pick it up right now, so I guess I'll wind up waiting for the moratorium to end or I'll pick it up on eBay or something. I just saw an auction where a copy was going for $30 with about an hour left. Maybe I can pick it up at a decent price when I can afford to do so,

- Brad

8. TheBat

TheBat Producer

Jacob
    I also must agree with the others that the giftset is the way to go. the complete documentary is realy good.. I even like the book that come with it.

JACOB

9. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Screenwriter

Just to clarify, there is no "isolated score" from the 2002 premiere. The track contains all the dialog and effects tracks from the film, it just has the score replaced with the live score from the 2002 premiere.

-Lyle J.P.

10. Tom Rags

Tom Rags Supporting Actor

Don't forget, you can get a free disc with the DTS track on the '82 release from Universal if you own the giftset....so don't let this be the determining factor in not getting the gift set. The gift set is absolutely beautiful and a must have, IMHO.

11. BruceLongee

BruceLongee Agent