Estimating the estimates

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Andy_Bu, Mar 22, 2004.

1. Andy_Bu

Andy_Bu Supporting Actor

Yes I know that sounds silly, but the wifey has asked me to perform a very rough estimate of the home theater project we want to undertake.

I was able to roughly estimate most of the work outside of two items. If anyone has had similar work done would you be willing to share cost and scope with me so that I can try and judge my own costs before bringing in the experts?

1) Installation of drop ceiling. 4x4 tiles, roughly 25x25 area.

2) Removal of 3 lally columns supporting main beam of house and replacing with steel horizontal support.

Thanx in advance for any help you could provide.

Andy

2. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Well prices can vary depending on where you live. But, I can tell you I paid around $1000 to have my drop ceiling put in by a guy who did them as a side job. He worked at a home improvement warehouse and only charged me his cost for the materials plus labor. My space was probably about 14' X 20' and involved a few tricky changes in height.

Personally, I think he grossly undercharged me. I don't think he expected how difficult the height changes would be. I would've probably been willing to pay twice that.

BTW, this was for 2X2 acoustical tiles with heavy-duty framing.

3. Andy_Bu

Andy_Bu Supporting Actor

Thanx Dave, that was helpful. I was thinking of budgeting around $5000(material and labor) so I am probably safe in the range.

Thank you again,

Andy

4. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

Replacing supporting columns with a beam will be a BIGGIE........... that could get into being a real task and you probably should have a pro look at the structural needs and requirements. We knock out wall all the time and place LVL beams in and sometimes it really gets tricky. You have to transfer that load somewhere! Good luck.....

5. Scott.J

Scott.J Extra

Sounds like a big job. I was thining about doing this a while back. But after I realized how much work it would be I decided not to.[​IMG]