What's new

Estimating $$$ for finishing basement (1 Viewer)

Shane Morales

Second Unit
I know the cost of finishing your basement will vary greatly depending on a bajillion things, but, being a noob at this, I have no idea how to even go about getting a ball park figure.

The basement area is 19' x 29' x 8'. It's totally bare right now. There are two small windows and one door. I would want, basically, one big room. I could do the framing and drywalling myself, but would hire someone else to do just about everything else (especially the painting :angry: ).

How can I figure out a rough estimate as to how much this would cost? Any guesses? Just too many variables to determine a number?

Glen C

Stunt Coordinator
alot depends on trim & flooring but you should be able to get a few estimates regardless if you specify a plan and present it.

just redid my basement (was half refinished which i also decided to remodeled). total size is about 35x22.

before i decided on a complete remodel, I got quotes to frame & finish a 12x10 room (almost one quadrant of the basement) and got a quote of $6500 framed w/ electricity, hihats & painted. These guys did my kitchen and offer a decent rate (not cutrate but fair), but i felt it was very high for a small room. Especially given the rest of the basement would be now disjointed. Other quotes were more or less similar, from reputible & insured people.

I then decided to frame & wire the entire basement myself and I got sheetrock quotes from $3k to $4,800 (7'4" walls + ceiling, full basement).

I figured that i did the entire basement for what it would cost a contractor to do 1/4th of it soup to nuts. They are doing some cement work to level the floors and i'll be tiling this fall (ceramic or whatever).

A friend just south paid about 20k to get his his finished basement, with bar and gas fireplace in a new development home (slightly larger foundation, probably 8' ceilings).

let me add it will cost ALOT less to do one large room than if you framed it into 3 smaller rooms. (which is what i did... 2 sides and a laundry room)

good luck.

BrianKR

Second Unit
Shane,
If you have the tools, time and know how, do as much yourself as possible. I had a contractor quote me a price and I built my room for a fraction of what he wanted. The money you save can go towards equipment!

Need more info:
Are you going to build standard or staggered walls? Single or double thickness on the drywall/sheetrock?
Are you going to build a stage and riser for your seating area?
If you build a stage and riser?
If so, are you going to fill them with sand, insulation or both?
What type of lighting are you going to use?
Are you going to insulate the walls and ceiling?

I sent you a pm shane with some numbers I came up with.

Pus Suchre

Stunt Coordinator
Most cost, like most things is in the labor. If you can do it yourself, you will save a fortune. Me- sadly I am a klutz....

Shane Morales

Second Unit
Standard walls.
Single thickness.
No stage, no riser.
Recessed and track lighting from IKEA.
Insulation all around.

Thanks!

Adam W

Stunt Coordinator
My room which is 25 X 15 X 8 cost abour 1,100 US to build. Everything was done be my father and I. There are 6 recessed lights, 15! electrical outlets, wiring for a ceiling fan/light, carpet, baseboard, and a framed window.

The room was bare to begin with, cinderblock walls and cement floor. The electrical wiring was very easy and is something you should do yourself and save lots of money. And painting is ridicously easy when there is nothing in the room but a bare floor and walls that need to be painted.

Here are things you should do:
Paint walls and floor with waterproof sealant
Rent a thing to lift drywall so it is easy to put on the ceiling (not sure what they are called)
figure out how you are going to secure the framing to the cement floor (we used things that were practically train spikes)

I would think your size room would be about 1,800 dollars if you did everything yourself which is a very rewarding experience. Good Luck.

Just noticed we both live in Maryland. If you want to pay me I will be glad to work :)

BrianKR

Second Unit

Some companies call them "panel lifts" others "drywall lifts"
Home Depot rents them as does almost any rental place.
If you are drywalling alone they are awesome!

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Add 20-30% to the maximum amount you think it will cost you to do it yourself. I think it is worth it if you are handy to frame it and do the rough-ins, but I would pay someone else to do the drywall/tape and texture. You can then take care of the finish work.

Mark McGill

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with the last post. We did everything ourselves except for plumbing, electrical, and drywall. Now you might ask what did I do, well everything else. Framing, and finishing out is easy, but can be a PITA. Drywall is tough for me because I am picky about the finish. All in all our basement which is 1200 square feet, includes two bedrooms an office, large bathroom and a 13x33 theater ran us about 10000.00 four years ago.

We took great pains to "match" the rest of the house in colours and trim, so that when you go downstairs it makes you feel like it's not a different part of the house. Good luck.

Scott Tucker

Stunt Coordinator
Definately do it yourself if you are even remotely inclined to do so. In a hurry, like i usually am, i paid the builder to do mine during new construction. One theater room 14.5 x 28, bi-fold doors in rear of theater open into another room large enough for pool table, and bar area, bar rough-in,fairly large bath with shower, 5 windows and a sliding glass door. It is a walk out basement with 9' pour.
It was nice that they did a good job, and i could use it from the day i moved in, but in hind sight, i should have been more patient and done it myself with some help overtime. would have saved a fortune.

Scott

Hydboy97

Auditioning
Real Name
VJ
Adam Thanks for good advice. What would be the existing price to finish the basement area is 19' x 29' x 8'. I am not very skilled. You also mentioned that you can do the work in Maryland area.

Will be be interested in doing it in Germantown area.

Thanks,

VJ

Hydboy97

Auditioning
Real Name
VJ
Adam Thanks for good advice. What would be the existing price to finish the basement area is 19' x 29' x 8'. I am not very skilled. You also mentioned that you can do the work in Maryland area.

Will be be interested in doing it in Germantown area.

Thanks,

VJ

Originally Posted by Adam W

My room which is 25 X 15 X 8 cost abour 1,100 US to build. Everything was done be my father and I. There are 6 recessed lights, 15! electrical outlets, wiring for a ceiling fan/light, carpet, baseboard, and a framed window.

The room was bare to begin with, cinderblock walls and cement floor. The electrical wiring was very easy and is something you should do yourself and save lots of money. And painting is ridicously easy when there is nothing in the room but a bare floor and walls that need to be painted.

Here are things you should do:
Paint walls and floor with waterproof sealant
Rent a thing to lift drywall so it is easy to put on the ceiling (not sure what they are called)
figure out how you are going to secure the framing to the cement floor (we used things that were practically train spikes)

I would think your size room would be about 1,800 dollars if you did everything yourself which is a very rewarding experience. Good Luck.

Just noticed we both live in Maryland. If you want to pay me I will be glad to work
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks