What's new

Estimated Life of a Projector (not bulb, actual unit) (1 Viewer)

Gary V

Grip
What is the estimated life of a projector? Is there a difference between DLP and LCD? Bulb life aside, how long can you expect to use your projector?

I have had my TV for almost 10 years. But I read that useful lives of projectors are much shorter than TV's, but I don't see any comments on that.

Also, if a projector is going to fail, what will fail on the projector? My guess would be the fan? Often times is it worthwhile to repair broken projectors, or is the cost similar to getting a new one?

Thanks!

Gary

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
Gary,
My thought on this is that the life of a projector is directly in proportion to the technology jump that has exceeded it. ;)

I own a Sharpvision LCD projector, which was state of the art 5 years ago. Now, I'm itching to upgrade to an HDTV projector, but the pocketbook won't allow it. There is nothing wrong with my projector, but it just isn't HDTV, or even 16x9 capable.

Other than bulb life, I've not heard of many issues making projectors any less sturdy than regular TV's. Just do your normal maintenance (clean filters, blow out dust, etc.), and they should last just fine. FYI, I'm still on my original blub. Knock on wood!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks