What's new

Essential requirements of buying a HDTV (1 Viewer)

Scott W.

Second Unit
I'm wondering what things I should have included in a new 30-50 inch widescreen tv. What I know so far is that it has to be in High Defenition (duh), also in widescreen (16X9)and a digital tv. One part I'm not sure about is this recent 'Plasma' tv talk. Is there such a thing as a HD Plasma tv? If their is such thing, is it better... with plasma or not? Any advice would be appreciated. TIA. =)

Scott

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
There are a lot of "HD" (usually 720 x something, 768 x something or 1024 x something for pixels) plasma TV's out there also a lot of non-HD (480 x something) ones.

For an HD plasma TV you want to be sure it displays 1080i HDTV shows with the resolution of the screen (768 x something or whatever), not an identical upscaling of each 540 line video field yielding but 540 lines of vertical resolution that is easier to skimp with. Unfortunately I don't know how to verify this as HDTV test patterns are hard to come by.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks