ESPY: Best Driver

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Marque D, Jun 29, 2002.

1. Marque D

Marque D Stunt Coordinator

http://espn.go.com/espy2002/s/drivernominees.html
    Best Driver nominees
    Michael Schumacher
    Credentials: Won his fourth world driver’s crown in 2001 … Set the record for career Grand Prix wins.
    Past ESPY's: none
    Jeff Gordon
    Credentials: Won the 2001 Winston Cup points championship.
    Past ESPY's: 1996, 1998 & 1999 Best Driver
    Kevin Harvick
    Credentials: Won the 2001 Busch Grand National series.
    Gil de Ferran
    Credentials: Won the 2001 CART championship.
    Helio Castroneves
    Credentials: Won the 2001 and 2002 Indianapolis 500.
    Sam Hornish
    Credentials: IRL 2001 IRL Champion, youngest champion of a major open-wheel series in racing history.
    John Force
    Credentials: NHRA's all-time win leader ... is an 11-time NHRA Champion, including nine consecutive.
    My personal top 3 would be Schumacher, Force and Castroneves. But since open wheel racing is not appreciated in the states and drag racing is ignored by media (even Speed Channel), NASCAR may very well get its fifth straight Best Driver award.

2. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

In my opinion Schumacher (well on his way to a record-tying 5th World Championship) is by far the best driver in the world, but not being an American, and driving in a sport all but ignored by US fans despite its huge popularity in the rest of the world, my money is on the NASCAR driver also.

3. Erik_C

Erik_C Stunt Coordinator

Schumacher is without a doubt the world's best driver. I don't even understand how a Nascar driver can be mentioned in the same paragraph as an F1 driver. All Nascar drivers do is go in a circle. How much talent is needed for that?
    -Erik

4. Chris Derby

Chris Derby Second Unit

medium left... medium left... medium left... medium left...

lather... rinse... repeat...

5. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

Hmm, NASCAR = 40 drivers going three wide into corners at 180mph in fairly similar cars. F1 = the most money wins, and the guy with the biggest contract gets to coast to the win.

F1 is interesting for its technology, but I'd really like to see what would happen if those guys had to go at it in NASCAR. Perhaps they should try and get Schumacher in an IROC race sometime.

ESPN is an American network, so it will likely favor the series that are popular in America. Also, consider the shame Ferrari and Schumacher brought upon their sport last month, I doubt he could get a lot of votes this year. I can't believe Force hasn't won yet, maybe this will be his year.

6. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

7. AjayM

AjayM Screenwriter

8. Scott Dill

Scott Dill Stunt Coordinator

Not even close....Michael.
    We can't just say "schumacher" anymore as someone may assume we are talking about the other one [​IMG]

9. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

nah.. no-one mistakes Ralf for a driver of Michael's level of talent [​IMG]

10. Marque D

11. Scott Dill

Come on, Can a NHRA guy really be considered a "driver"? [​IMG]

12. Scott Dill

Doh! - DP

13. Scott Dill

Schuey was winning at Benneton, what have they been able to do without him?

F1 is very expensive and more of a team sport, while NASCAR, being a spec series where all the cars the same with different labels, is more of a pure drivers game, but it just is not at the same level. F1 drivers are quickly weeded out if they can't stand up to the challenge - Andretti anyone?

CART is falling on hard times, but a few years back it was really the best driver's test - super speedways, bullrings, road courses, street courses, all in a variety of chassis - engine combinations. It has proven an excellent training ground for F1 as well, with Villanouve (needs a new ride bad) and Montoya both doing well.

14. Marque D

Well Michael Schumacher did take the win after all.
    Well done [​IMG]

15. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

MS won the ESPY? I'm shocked, SHOCKED! (really) that the best driver on the planet won an ESPY for best driver!

16. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

And here I was going to do a write in vote for RB since he seems to be out driving MS with the #2 car half the time.
    MS has more unforced spinouts than I've ever seen in F1. Just cruising along...whoops.
    Still has the car to come back.
    But I think you guys are crazy if you think swapping MS and Montoya in cars wouldn't result in JPM stomping on MS just as much, if not more.
    As for "rubbing is racing" all I know is that at the Daytona IROC race (just televised the other day) I saw an openwheeler (Cheever) rub Little Dale right off the track. [​IMG]
    I enjoyed that quite a bit actually. Guess when you are used to having to use your front wheel to move a guy off your line, it becomes a piece of cake when there is some sheet metal there to help. [​IMG]

17. Scott Dill

With Williams' reliability problems this year, their drivers really don't seem to have ever had a chance at the championship, though they certainly do in any given race.
    I know that its easy to criticize MS since he is on top of the F1 world, but to suggest that he can only win because he has the best car is really unfair to what he has achieved. 2001 was the first time, IMHO, that MS really had the best car in the series. For his first two championships with Benetton, the Williams-Renaults were far and away the best cars those years. Then, while he moved over to Ferrari and Williams became the BMW development team, McLaren-Mercedes (really Ilmor) had the best combo and they won the championships. MS still managed to give them a serious challenge.
    Just look at other recent champions - Senna, Mansell, Prost, Hill, Villinouve, Hakinaan (sp?) These were all skilled drivers, but they only won their championships when they were in the best cars. MS has at least 2 (I think 3) championships where he won without the best equipment. My God, he won his first one with a Ford engine [​IMG]
    IMHO, MS is the best driver in modern F1 history. He is getting old, though (He's as "old" as I am [​IMG])
    Personally while I was a BIG MS fan during the Benetton years and was happy to see the turn around at Ferrari, I'd really like to see Eddie Jordan finally get his team together and make a run at things....but he may not even have an engine deal next year[​IMG]

18. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

19. AjayM

AjayM Screenwriter

Ahh the ol' who's the best driver discussion. I certainly agree that MS is certainly in the top 5 of modern time, but I don't know if I can put them above people like Prost and Senna, sure MS and Bennetton weren't the top team at the time in terms of speed but I think they were probably the top team in terms of personel (they had Todt, Brawn, etc), but MS in the later years has never really had the kind of competition that Senna/Prost created, maybe a little bit with the Fin Sr, but even then it was a little more due to having a superior car than anything. The years with Senna and Prost in the same team with McLaren were amazing.

So it's hard to say, if you could equalize all of the cars in F1, I know you would see some suprises...and I'm not sure that MS would be on top...maybe in the top 3.

Andrew