ESPN's Stuart Scott

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Christopher P, Aug 25, 2002.

1. Christopher P

Christopher P Supporting Actor

Does anyone else cringe when they turn on Sportscenter, all pumped up to watch an hour of sports scores and highlights, just to see Stuart Scott behind the desk? He has to be the worst sports desk person ever. What's with the ebonics? Does anyone actually talk like that? Does he think he's connecting with anyone? It's gotten to the point that I will flip over to Fox Sports to avoid listening to that idiot. And in the world of catch-phrases, is there anything dumber than BOO-YAH?

I couldn't take it anymore. Had to rant somewhere and didn't know where else to go.

Chris

2. Ricky Cash

Ricky Cash Agent

In case you havent noticed, Sportscenter is a show that has fun with sports. Always has always will. Not every announcer will be every ones cup of tea.But the show nowadays targets the young audience that knows exactly what boo-ya means.

As for the ebonics (what ever that means) the use of this type of dialog is part of his act and has made him a star on what had been a very white bread show covering the rainbow that is professional sports.

3. Ty Zucker

Ty Zucker Stunt Coordinator

I like Stuart Scott. It's all part of the schtick.

Although, I think Kenny Mayne is my favorite. Too bad he doesn't anchor Sportscenter that much anymore.

4. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

I like most of the guys they bring in. Over the top? You bet, but this is sports, after all. Have some fun with it.

Bruce

5. John Thomas

John Thomas Cinematographer

Speaking of, did anyone catch the 25k Sportscenter Sunday night? Man, I love that show. It's one of the few that I watch on a regular basis.
    Tim Meadows on SNL: BOO-YAH! Booyah, booyah....bbbbooyah! [​IMG]
    The story about the heart transplant patient on 9/11 was, for the lack of a better word, awesome.

6. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

It was good to see Bob Ley and Chris Berman, two of the old-timers, on the 25k show. They are as familiar and comfortable to me as Walter Cronkite was to my parents' generation.

7. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

I agree that Bob Ley and Chris Berman are the last Sportscenter anchors that I've been able to stomach. Probably why I rarely watch it these days.

8. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Screenwriter

I like everyone on Sportscenter so I don't really have a problem with Stuart Scott.

I like Rich Eisen the most and I like a lot of the lesser jockeys on during the day and on ESPN News too.

I remember a show when Charley Steiner couldn't stop laughing at a clip of Mitch "Blood" Green when Tyson beat him up on the street. From that point on he became one of my favorites.

9. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

I think Stuart Scott's great! The light hearted comedy and catch phrases makes Sportscenter that much more enjoyable.

10. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

I like Scott's new "He don' made his kinfolk so proud. Pookie and 'em," routine, but I'd have to say that Kenny Mayne is probably my fave of the guys who still do the show. My all-time favorite has to be Boomer, I never miss a minute of Sunday Countday, undoubtedly the best pre-game show in the biz.

11. Rich Romero

Rich Romero Supporting Actor

Stuart scott is very good. His ebonics isn't natural, it's all part of his act and I think it's funny.

12. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

13. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

I rank Stuart Scott as one of the best on Sportscenter. They put all the unfunny people on ESPN News. [​IMG]

14. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

FWIW, I've always liked Stu. I really only watch the channel during the NFL season though.

-Dan B.

15. MichaelAW

MichaelAW Second Unit

Just wondering, since we don't have ESPN here in Sweden (beautiful women, yes, but no ESPN)... was Keith Olbermann involved in the 25k episode? I know he's not with ESPN anymore, but he was a very integral part of the show for so long with Dan Patrick.

16. John Thomas

John Thomas Cinematographer

Michael, I thought about Mr. Olbermann too. He wasn't featured on the show at all, not even in the reruns of the top commercials leading up to the show. I think htere was an issue between him and one of the producers of the show and he might not be in their good graces anymore. I did see a bit of Craig Kilborn and his ESPN commercial however.

17. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

18. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Screenwriter

Joel, Steiner was probably laughing at Lewis too, but just on another show.

19. John Spencer

John Spencer Supporting Actor

I liked it when Charley Steiner lost it while trying to report seriously that Kerry Wood had been arrested for urinating on hte outside wall of a nightclub, and in lieu of jailtime would have to pay a fine and do PSA's related to the offense. He was crying, he was laughing so hard.

20. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Screenwriter

John, I forgot all about that one.[​IMG]