What's new

ESPN Top 25 Sports Movies (1 Viewer)

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
What a terrible list they had! Where was Kingpin, Happy Gilmore, and The Waterboy? They are certainly more sport movies than many ESPN had on their list. Bobby Fisher???!!! I'm sorry, chess may be very difficult at top levels but IMHO is as much a sport as fat handlers having dogs run agility or a damn cat show. That is...it isn't a friggin' sport! For being a sport channel, they don't know squat about sport movies.

I know the Rocky movies got old and the sequels certainly dragged the original down but I enjoyed them for what they were worth. Hell, what high school team didn't have Eye of the Tiger as their theme song during that time?

Eric Howell

Stunt Coordinator
Actually Chris, one of the ESPN Page 2 guys made a comment about that silly Connery quote a while back, and now people just can't stop saying it. :) Hell, I'm willing to bet that quote and the Page2 reference alone is what got the film on ESPN's list(I can't see any other reason).

Personally, I don’t mind Bobby Fisher being on the list, because at least it is a good movie. :)

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

At the very least the best track movie out there. (Sorry, but I hate Chariots Of Fire.)

Jason

Chris

Senior HTF Member

Wow. I didn't know that. The first time I watched the movie and heard that line, it stuck in my craw.. it's been a joke between my wife & myself for a while.. a comic (Dan Castillo) does an impersonation where he yells that at one point.. cracks me up ;)

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
As a native Hoosier, I was glad to see Hoosiers get the #1 nod. It's not only a great movie, but it PERFECTLY captures the spirit and the atmoshphere of Indiana high school basketball (a spirit that is sadly diminished since the advent of multi-class basketball in the state since 1998).

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich

Tell me, the main protagonist in Moby Dick was a fisherman (or whaling man if you prefer). Did you think the movie was about fishing?

Since Forrest Gump was a table tennis champ, football hero, and a running star, I guess that makes it a sports film in your book too.

Run Forrest Run. ;)

DanaA

Screenwriter

Should have most definitely made the list. No better picture about the joys of playing ball as a kid. I could almost smell the grass fields of my youth.

That's the kind of sport film I enjoy most and will go back to watching over and over...why I like Remember the Titans as well. I appreciate and enjoy films like Raging Bull, but generally don't watch them more than once or twice.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Babe is a great sports movie about an often overlooked sport. I can't think of any others about training for the big sheepdogging competition. Kind of a Jackie Robinson story about pigs and dogs instead of black and white people. I would have picked it over Ali as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NenaSiddall
Recent bookmarks