ESPN Sunday Night Football

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by MichaelD, Dec 21, 2003.

1. MichaelD

MichaelD Stunt Coordinator

I have a 4:3 36 inch tv. Does anyone notice that the picture looks compressed vertically. It looks like it is being squeezed. I noticed the same thing during last night's game. Is it just me or does anyone else notice this?

2. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    sunday night football is broadcast in hd on channel 73 on directv and on the hd feed on some cable systems.

when a non hd game is on the picture is stretched so it has a long and short look to it.

you didnt say what way you watched it. did you watch the sd or the hd feed.

the sd feed channel is never stretched it is just normal 4x3 looking.

3. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

It looked terrrible, I couldn't stand to watch it. It was like watching DVD in anamorphoc mode on a 4:3 TV. I was watching on analog cable.

4. Bill MacAdoo

Bill MacAdoo Stunt Coordinator

It looked fine to me.

5. BrettB

BrettB Producer

The Sat. and Sun. ESPN games were messed up on the SD side. I have a non-hd 4:3 Sony with analog cable (Cox) and the picture on both of these games was stretched vertically. Last night after the game was over the local news channel showed highlights from the game which were also stretched. Guess I need to call Cox and see what they know.

6. MichaelD

MichaelD Stunt Coordinator

Brett, I have the exact same setup as you, and I have cox also. By the 4th quarter it was giving me a headache.

7. David S

David S Stunt Coordinator

Both nights looked great on channel 73 for me. On another note, how about Joe Namath's drunken sideline proposal to Suzy Kolber(sp) on Saturday night "I want to kiss you"! Funnest "blooper" type thing I've seen live in my life. He was tanked!!

8. MattBu

MattBu Stunt Coordinator

Looked awesome in HD, and at least last nights game was some sort of vertical stretched ass on my local NBC HD for some weird assed reason, and on ESPN. Any idea HOW my local NBC could be carrying an ESPN game? Because of local rules?

9. KevinJ

KevinJ Supporting Actor

espn allows the game to be carried [in SD]in the local areas of the teams that are playing for those who are cable deprived

10. Eric R C

Eric R C Agent

That was by far the funniest thing I had seen live on TV in years. Broadway Joe was absolutely loaded. After his initial interview they cut to the booth and I thought that was it they wont put him back on the air again when... BAM there was his drunk ass again giving a bad name to all NFL hall of famers out there including OJ and LT [​IMG]

11. Alex-C

Alex-C Screenwriter

anyone got the video linked ?

I want to show some friends who missed it....it was hilarious !!!

12. WayneG

WayneG Stunt Coordinator

I watched on TSN in Canada which takes ESPN's feed and the video quality was awful with flittering black lines running across the screen and sometimes the vertical hold going and the picture getting squished and distorted. This was on regular, non-digital, non-HD cable.

13. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Wayne, what you described sound like what happens when I feed my HD signal through the analog line of my tv. This definitely sounds like ESPN screwed up with the signal and ran the HD feed throught thier analog feed (or whatever the process is).

I noticed this switching of feeds during Sat. nights Pats vs. Jets game. All of the graphics (i.e. the score and the text) must fit in the center of the screen so that they can just lop off the sides of the 16x9 image and broadcast it for 4x3 tv's, but there were times where I saw the text (mainly after commercial) stretched out across the bottom of the screen and then it would quickly reset itself back into the 4x3 area of the image.

ESPN must have to do some sort of on-the-fly conversions when mixing 4x3 commercials and their 16x9 football coverage. Since HD is so new, I can just imagine something getting screwed up and the 16x9 (anamorphic) image being sent to the 4x3 tv's.

Actually, as a 16x9 tv owner, you (MichaelD) now have just experienced the same (but opposite) effect I get when I watch normal 4x3 tv in 16x9 mode. [​IMG] [​IMG]