What's new

ESPN -- Stop Being So "Hip"! (1 Viewer)

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
Charlie Campisi, you wrote:

But that's half the charm of the show! :D Golic comes of more of a "regular guy" that way compared to the polished sounding Greenberg.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
You call it charm. I wish for a ff tivo button on my car radio everytime he opens his mouth! It's the worst when he is interviewing a guest. There is a slight delay as the guest tries to understand what Golic just asked and then figure out how to answer him. Ugh.

I also have a big problem with many of their opinions. I suppose it's good that they express them. I just find them to be wrong sometimes. The initial criticism of Canseco when the book came out comes to mind. Canseco was entitled to no credit, but he also could have been right, but they refused to get past the former. Recently, they spent a whole Monday show talking about how fans could not question Palomalu's interception that was reversed because "the official got the call right." They said any complaints should be with the rule which said it was not a catch. They were dead freaking wrong. I find myself disagreeing with much of what they say, as opposed to Schlereth when he is in there.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
I've given up on ESPN other than watching the sports event and college gameday for football.

DanielCo

Stunt Coordinator
I love PTI and absolutely hate the SportsCenter "interruption" at 6:00. Obviously, SportsCenter is not strong enough on its own to grab the audience -- as we've been discussing here -- so must drap the PTI fans along with them.

But I tape PTI due to my schedule. My tape time is 40 minutes instead of 30. If some breaking story hits though, the PTI segment is pushed back beyond my set time. Yep, still using the VCR.

It also seems counter to the sense of PTI. The timer and rundown makes sense in a fixed time, but falls off when the show's end isn't really the end.

Please give me back my PTI!

Mike~Sileck

Supporting Actor

Travis this quote just made me crack up. Part of me wishes they'd do this for one day just so I could laugh.

Booyah...rain tomorrow .. wow .. priceless

And oh btw agreed about ESPN needing to relax ..

And Kobe's a ball hog b/c his team is garbage. They won the game, so I'm not gonna hate on them...

and PTI - GREAT programming. (ATH isn't bad either)

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Ha, I do the same thing with PTI since I often end up missing parts of it. Just stuck it on the Tivo and solved that problem, except I had to add 15 minutes and as you said that's sometimes not enough.

Sad that SC needs to be carried by PTI (which is clearly already carrying ATHorn just before it).

The guy on CNBC's Mad Money uses Booyah as part of his schtick.

The difference is that he is actually funny and entertaining.

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
Seth,

I think Mike Greenberg actually has two different on-air personalities at ESPN. If you seen him on Mike & Mike in the Morning, he banters back and forth between him and Mike Golic in almost a "schtick" style; however, when Greenberg is co-host of the 1800 hours (ET) Sportscenter he tends to be more in the Fred Hickman/Linda Cohn mode, reporting the news pretty seriously without any "schtick."

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
I can't stand it either this hiphop sports news cast with all the slang. They cater to who they think their audience is.

Rich Romero

Supporting Actor
I'd like to chime in my two cents. Are all of you out of your mind? ESPN covers sports and sports only 24/7. Who cares if they use hip lingo to do it. Look at Fox Sports Net and "The Worst Damn Sports Show Period". That show rarely, if ever even covers actual sports. ESPN almost has TOO MUCH coverage of the many sports topics at hand. Don't blow the lingo angle out of proportion here.

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor

It's not meant to be a direct competitor with Sportscenter; one is intended to offer a summary / highlights of the day's sporting events (Sportscenter), while the other is a free-format talk show.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I was just reminded of this thread, when I saw that the Jonas Brothers were going to do the Top 10 on Sportscenter. I didn't bother watching. If I wanted to see them, I'll watch Disney Channel or MTV. Enough already!

I'll occasionally watch Baseball Tonight, but that's about it, outside of the actual games. But they will continue to piss on sports, as they have been, since Disney bought it.

Charles Knox

Agent
Real Name
jake

I can't stand the two morons either. My main gripe with them is about 80-90%of the time they are talking out of thier backend. Like the rest of ESPN they let personal bias's and not actual facts persuade thier discussions of real sports. At other times the two are usually wasting on air space doing stupid publicity stunts, such as leg waxing.

My other big complaint about ESPN, is thier never-ending coverage about FAVRE. It has got so bad, they are now just making reports up, in a silly attempt for ratings.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
The entertainment aspect of ESPN was IMO at its peak back when Olberman and Patrick were at the helm (and teamed). Since then, this aspect of the show has gotten progressively worse, with a few bright spots every now and then.

Raymond_H

Stunt Coordinator
I have a lot to complain about ESPN. For one their NBA coverage is just outright bad. It has gotten better over the years but its still lightyears behind NBC.

Compare the Finals on ABC (ESPN) to when it was NBA on NBC. Or even compare currently to TNT.

While I was a fan of both Around the Horn and PTI, they both have lost of a lot of interest for me. The main problem I have with PTI is that the hosts will make it clear at times they have no interest, half watched, kinda watched whatever sporting event it was that they are now going to be talking about. I mean whats the point then?

-Ray

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Pretty much hate any of the New SC stuff, PTI, Over the Hedge, Around the Horn, My Flicka's Bigger than Yours, Mike and Mike, etc etc. The Jim Rome-ization of all these shows is just grating.

Berman's stuff was pretty funny for a couple of years just because it was unique, fun, and not meant to be anything other than what it was. It was a college joke coming up with some fun wordplay, but once it became the style (say 1985 or so) then it lost its fun factor and basically just got old.

Baseball Tonight is news and highlights without all the garbage and is just about the only thing I watch on the station (College Gameday sometimes I guess) other than their live sports.

I miss the days where I had to decide to watch Nick Charles and Fred Hickman on CNN Sports or Mees/Ley/Patrick or Gayle Gardner/Grande/Gumbel on SportsCenter.

I think Craig Kilborn may have been the beginning of the end when he spent as much time working on his comedy monologues as he did on hosting SC. As much as I like Olbermann, he was unfornately part of that group that started making it more about personality and gag reels than the sports themselves. A lot of the anchors have attempted to imitate him with increasingly bad results -- Scott and Mayne are easily the worst offenders.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Well, Hannah Miley was on there not too long ago. Ooops -- that's the British swimmer. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks