ESPN NHL Hockey scores BIG

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by MatS, Sep 9, 2003.

1. MatS

MatS Screenwriter

IGN PS2 review
    IGN X-Box review

though I am always sceptical when the review for both systems is the same word for word
    I think there is a misprint on the PS2 graphics score as it shows a lower score than the Box version but overall scores are the same as well as all other categories. I'm sure X-Box fanboys will disagree [​IMG]

2. NickC

NickC Second Unit

A demo of NHL 2004 is out on EA's website, they made some nice changes this year, the game is totally different

3. MatS

MatS Screenwriter

ummmmm ok, so what does that have to do with this game??!!

4. NickC

NickC Second Unit

Competition, I may skip ESPN this year, I bought 2k3 last year, that was good, I want to hear some opinions on how much better it is then last year.

when you get it mat post some thoughts

5. Ryan_Walsh

Ryan_Walsh Stunt Coordinator

Picked this game up an Funcoland this morning. Rookie setting is incredibly easy. Scored a few one timers before the halfway mark of the first period. Switched it up to pro and it's been an even battle. They scored 1, I have yet to score. Game is extremely fluid and the controls (as reported by IGN) are AMAZING.

The right analog performs all the dekes, as well as enables your player to skate backwards on defense. L1 is a mod button that basically doubles the controller options. Game controls are the greatest I've ever seen for a sports title.

I predominantly play sports games. My current catalogue of games is:

NCAA Football 2004 (PS2)
    Madden 2004 (PS2)
    F-Zero GX
    Soul Calibur 2 (GC)
    Fifa 2003 (GC)
    Tiger 2003 (GC)
    ESPN NHL (PS2)
    Rocky (PS2)
    Tiger Woods 2004 (PS2) (PREORDER)
    Mario Golf

That is every game I currently own. I'm a sports nut, and this is the BEST of the BEST.

6. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

A warning to this that care about these things enough to skip games and get all pissy: The game doesn't support 720p, Widescreen, or aparently even DD 5.1 [​IMG]

I'm still getting it the second it arrives though.

7. Bob East

Bob East Agent

I loved NHL 2K3 and planned on getting this right away. However, the game no longer features adjustable camera views. This is a necessary feature in sports videogames. I'll now be renting it to see if the defaults are playable. The exclusion of Dolby Digital is ridiculous as well. How did Microsofts quality control let them get away with that? Now I know with some people the only thing that matters is the gameplay. However, when it comes to sports games, the presentation and control setups mean a great deal. The sound can make a good game great or a good game boring. All sports games should also have mappable controls so the player can decide what feels right to him/her. I was concerned when Kush took Treyarch's place(anyone know why this was done?). Hopefully, the reviews are right and this is a great game. However, as is typically the case the reviewers fail to point out such things as lack of Dolby Digital and adjustable camera angles.

8. Ken Chui

Ken Chui Supporting Actor

9. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

I just picked it up at lunch and am dying to play it! Of course I am still at work,so I will have to wait a little longer but I will get in at least 3 hrs of gaming tonight. I am a huge hockey fan and a huge fan of the hockey video games. It was nice last year that we got easily the BEST hockey video game ever made, NHL 2K3. It was so refreshing to get something realistic instead of the cartoonish and arcadish style play EA has been giving us. Anyway, will give thoughts on ESPN 2K4 later on.

10. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

Hey, can someone just copy and past the PS2 article in this thread. At work I am unable to link to that site sue to websense is blocking game related websites.

11. NickC

NickC Second Unit

Anyone who has been playing post any differences from last year you have noticed and if it's worth upgrading...

12. MikeFR

MikeFR Supporting Actor

From reading other forums...

Graphics much better, smoother frame rate.
    Game presentation is outstanding, commentary is excellent etc.
    Much better cpu AI on defense.
    Goalies arent super goalies anymore.
    Same sliders as last year except they are seperated into CPU and Human, so you can tweak like crazy.
    The 'skybox' and unlockable historic teams sound great as well.

Complaints so far are the obvious lack of widescreen and 5.1
    A few online glitches.
    No camera zoom.

I am hoping to find the game afterwork tonight.

13. Brian J Dupuis

Brian J Dupuis Second Unit

I think it's going to be worth the upgrade. The AI is supposedly vastly improved. I only played a couple of games at the EB Games when I picked it up at lunch, but the old money goal is certainly a thing of the past. The graphics and presentation are improved (if you overlook the lack of camera zoom, widescreen, and surround sound), and the commentary is miles better. Aiming is actually possible this year. I wound up for a huge slapshot, but had the thumbstick pegged (which is apparently not the way to do it this year) and the puck went precisely where I was aiming... about 3 feet up and to the left of the goal at about 90 MPH [​IMG]. Hitting corners reliably should be possible this year with the right skilled players. Powerplays are supposedly a joy this year, as you can actually set something up and not get mauled everytime you touch the puck and have it cleared before you can blink. Defensive AI looks better, with the CPU covering passing lanes and really pummeling people in the crease. I hope to get more playtime tonight, but so far -- again, aside from the obvious things left out -- the game is an improvement.

14. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

Aparently anything beyond the basic game settings is not adjustable for online play. Bit of a downer but I only used default sliders last year anyway.

15. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

Okay here are some of my thoughts.
    These are the changes I am happy about.
    1. Graphics and frame rate are much much better this year. Everything looks so real and the players faces look just like them.
    2. The AI is so much better. It's harder to just skate up and down the ice. The AI tries to clog up the neutral zone more.
    3. Checking is a lot more true to life. If Milan Hejduk goes to check Derian Hatcher into the boards, it's just more like a bump then a check, vice versa if Hejduk gets checked by Hatcher then he goes down.
    4. Dumping the puck into the zone had also been improved on. Now you can wrap it around pretty hard to get it to the forward or d man on the other side.
    These are just a few things that I noticed when playing it last night.
    Now some of the things that I don't like.
    1. The announcing of the home team. Where did it go??? In 2k3 it was awesome. It was like a real hockey game. The away team skates out of the tunnel and gets booed then the lights would go out, then the spotlights go on with the logo of the team and then the home skaters would come out of the tunnel and then get announced. They would also play the national anthem Why is all of that gone? I thought that was a huge part of the presentation last year.
    This year the players skate around on the ice a little and then the game starts.
    2. It seem that there are less replays this year. I have noticed when there is a penalty, they don't show the replay on what just happened. There are multiple replay views on goals scored but that seems about it.
    3. I broke the glass with a shot and they just kept playing like it never happened.
    Once again, I have only played this a little but these are some first impressions.

16. Ryan_Walsh

Ryan_Walsh Stunt Coordinator

Luckily all of your problems have nothing to do with the actual gameplay of the game. I personally ahte the replays after every goal, penalty, offsides, icing, and 2-line pass. I have disabled them in the menus. I think the game is perfect. I also do not know anyone who watches the announcement of lineups. If I'm playing a game I want to play the game not waste 5 minutes hearing the same thing every time.

17. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

18. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Jeff, read more carefully:

19. NickC

NickC Second Unit

How are the manual dekes?

20. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    I'm kinda concerned that they left out both in game DD5.1 and 16x9 mode. More the latter than the former. It's incomprehensible to me that they would leave this out. So I'm still undecided on getting this, at least at $50 bucks