What's new

ESPN NFL Football (XBox) bug, or is this a rule? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Peake

Supporting Actor
When attempting an onsides kick, the ball must travel 10 yards before it is touched.

Last night, playing single-player franchise mode, the opposing team was down 3 with 50 seconds left to play. They tried an onsides kick, and the ball didnt travel 10 yards...penalty. So I should have declined the penalty and just run out the clock. But after the ref threw the flag, the menu to choose Accept or Decline never came up and it just accepted automatically. So they got to kick again, this time recovering the onsides kick and scoring a FG to tie it with 10 seconds to play.

Is this a bug in the game, or in real life do you have to accept these penalties?? Very frustrating that the other team gets to just try again if they mess up an onsides kick.

During the same game, another bug showed up that was kind of funny. The score ticker came up at the bottom of the screen and said that someone ran a kickoff return for 4130494003322 yards!

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
I'm not football expert but I would call it a glitch. I have had this happen to me twice (neither cost me the game though)

Brandon_S

Second Unit
I believe the onside kick team usually gets two chances to get the ball 10 yards. If on the second chance they do not get the ball 10 yards, it is awarded to the receiving team. I could be mistaken but I think that is how the rule works.

Mark Giles

Second Unit
This is quoted from the NFL Rules:

If the kicking team either illegally kicks off out of bounds or is guilty of a short free kick on two or more consecutive onside kicks, receivers may take possession of the ball at the dead ball spot, out-of-bounds spot, or spot of illegal touch.

So yeah, that was no glitch.

Mike_Cif

Stunt Coordinator
Yep, not a game bug.. Its actually nice to see the games taking suck great detail with the rules and what not.

Jeremy_Nelson

Stunt Coordinator
That rule was changed as of this year...madden 2004 no longer allows for a second kick. Also I've heard it mentioned that the rule was changed while watching a game..

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
This is quoted from the NFL Rules:

If the kicking team either illegally kicks off out of bounds or is guilty of a short free kick on two or more consecutive onside kicks, receivers may take possession of the ball at the dead ball spot, out-of-bounds spot, or spot of illegal touch.

So yeah, that was no glitch.
That is pretty cool. :emoji_thumbsup:

Ken Holmes

Stunt Coordinator
How about this glitch? On the kickoff the ball is kicked into my endzone and I don't touch it but the opposing team gets the ball and they get a touch down? I thought that was basically a touchback and should be my ball on the 20?

Ken H

Jeff Peake

Supporting Actor
Ken:

That one I am sure is not a glitch. The ball is live after it travels 10 yards on a kickoff...after that it is just like a fumble, whoever grabs it gets it. So if they grabbed it in the end zone, it is indeed a TD.

Jeff

Ken Holmes

Stunt Coordinator
How come when the ball is punted and it hits near the opponents goal line that the defensive players try to bat the ball backwards before the ball passes the goal line? Is this a rule that is different for college and pro?

Thanks,
Ken

Mark Dubbelboer

Screenwriter
That rule is the same in college and pro.

the difference between the two situations you're describing is that one is a punt and one is a kickoff
on a kickoff after the ball has travelled 10 yards it's a live ball.
on a punt the ball is never live until it has touched a player on the receiving team (i.e. he muffs the catch)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks