ESPN in HI-DEF..........

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill Adlhoch, Jan 21, 2001.

1. Bill Adlhoch

Bill Adlhoch Stunt Coordinator

what would be a projected timetable for these regular cable stations to go HI-DEF?
    I know that directv doesnt do OTA local stations in hi-def and I will need an outside antenna and box for these channels
    but I am a sports nut and ESPN/Fox sports NET ..etc will be MY eagerly anticipated channel to go hi-def
    which doy ou think will happen 1st..I can receive it via dish...or my cable company will offer it to me
    ------------------

2. Frank

Frank Stunt Coordinator

The L.A. Lakers will win the World Series before FOX does HDTV. [​IMG] We have a much better chance of seeing ESPN in HDTV in several years.
    ------------------
    Frank...
    Turn off the TV and read these books those in power DON'T want you to read...

3. VicRuiz

VicRuiz Second Unit

Frank, we DO get Fox Sports Net and MSG in HD here in NYC. They're only available thru a certain cable company (Cablevision) and only in certain areas, but we do have them. We get all the home games of the Mets, Yankees, Knicks, Nets, Rangers, Devils, and Islanders in glorious HDTV. Hell, I'm moving to one of those areas just to get them!
    Cablevision will make those signals available to Dish and DirecTV in 2002.
    ------------------
    Vic Ruiz
    STOP DVI/HDCP and DFAST

4. Bill Adlhoch

Bill Adlhoch Stunt Coordinator

Frank,
    I am referring to Fox Sports Net and NOT the Fox network
    ------------------

5. DaveBB

DaveBB Supporting Actor

6. markc

markc Extra

I work at ESPN and it will be many years before you see HDTV from us. First of all our technical plant is still not all digital. We just broke ground on an all new digital facility which will not be ready for about 3 years. There is also no push inside the company to do it. Our biggest concern is information not Technical breakthroughs

7. Pete M

Pete M Stunt Coordinator

8. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    markc -- I'd say that is a shame. Being a leader in implementing sporting events like hockey, baseball, and football in HD could really set ESPN apart. I know ESPN is already a leader in the field but I think FoxSports has closed the gap considerably in the past year or two with their coverage and personalities. ESPN should be looking for more ways to widen the gap.
    I agree that sporting events will be one of, if not the primary, "killer app" for HDTV. The transition to HD would be happening much faster if more sports content was available via satellite and/or cable.

9. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

On the other hand, Pete, now ABC has NYPD Blue in HD.