What's new

ESPN HDTV - when and where? (1 Viewer)

Roger Kint

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone know when ESPN will come out with HDTV and who will be the lucky recipients - satellite or cable or ??? subscribers?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I heard that HD-ESPN might be a pay channel. Anything think it'd be worth $10-$20/month?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I would pay $10 per month during the football and hockey season if there were enough games being broadcast in HD. However, I would want the option to shut off the service during the summer -- baseball does not interest me at all, even in HD.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It may be like Discovery HD Theater which is around $7/month on Dish. I'd be willing to subscribe at that price just for the football.

As for carriers. That's up in the air. BUD (big ugly dish) users will be the first to get it since that's how ESPN will send it out. Cable companies have the bandwidth to carry it but who knows. Cable and HD varies widely across the country. Dish supposedly has the bandwidth but I haven't followed closely. DirecTV has a free transponder on the 110 satellite or the could double up with two HD channels per transponder like HD-Net and HD PPV.

-Robert

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
Anything think it'd be worth $10-$20/month?
If and only if all the Sunday night football games, some of the Saturday football games and most of the Thursday night NHL games are in HD.

They will have to pay me to watch MLB or NBA games even if they are in HD.

Mike I

Supporting Actor
ESPN starts broadcasting March 30th..
No word yet on who will carry it or what premium channel charge may come with it, if any...

Charles C

Auditioning
In Charlotte, Time-Warner Cable will begin carrying ESPN-HD in mid-April, according to their lead HDTV technician. From what I understand, it'll be included in their Digital Cable package, along with the other 7 HD channels they currently carry.

Charles

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks