What's new

ESPN-HD, DiscoveryHD & HDNET Movies on DirecTV July 1 (1 Viewer)

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
I ordered my Sat C kit yesterday for free ($8 shipping). I did have to commit to another year of my current service but that was no big deal since I just got a DirecTivo a couple of months ago and had already committed to another 12 months then. My order from American Satellite had already shipped but they said that I could just get an RMA and return it for a refund.

I probably won't commit to the HD package until football season. It may take three months to convince my wife to add $11 to my $58 bill. When the Sunday Ticket went up to $200 this year, it made it that much harder to sell.
I'm in the same boat. Football in HD is what finally convinced me to get my HDTV receiver hooked up to DirecTV. My NFL Sunday Ticket renewal was $169 this year. I'm not sure why yours was $200?

Cary P

Stunt Coordinator
Called DirecTV, explained that Comcast was rolling out HD cable in the Bay Area, and asked what D* could do to get me hooked up with HD service and keep me as a customer. I asked for the customer retention department.

For an additional 1 year service commitment, they gave me free installation of a new triple-LNB dish (already had the oval dual-LNB), six months of HBO for $2/month, and a $100 service credit to offset the price of a new HD receiver box (didn't tell them I recently scored a sealed "open box" Samsung SIR-TS160 at BestBuy for $300).

DirecTV customer service rules, I am one happy camper! I have no problem with paying them the extra $10.99/month and renewing my NFL Sunday Ticket - I will be in HD heaven come fall!

Now if only Sony would hurry up and release the XBR910 by July 1st.

Cary

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Even though I'd pay extra, there's now enough HD content on DirecTV to make me consider switching.

But I'm in the fringe, and that means putting up a rooftop or attic antenna so that I can get locals (I've tried with an OTA STB and many different kinds of rabbit ears - no go).

I guess I'll stick with Time Warner for now (I get HD ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS, HBO, and SHO). I really don't want an antenna.

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
I didn't see it hit my bill yet, have you? The $200 was just what I saw on the NFL channel. Maybe that was new subscriber cost. I'll have to check it out further.
The first of my 4 monthly payments is supposed to start this month. I'm pretty sure that the $200 is for new subscribers. You should've received a packet in the mail from DirecTV with some coupons and other stuff related to the NFL Sunday Ticket package.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
But, does DirecTV have the space to add the extra HD channels without further sacrificing quality due to over compression? They already seem to have downgraded quality somewhat.

I thought DirecTV was supposed to be hurting for transponder space, whereas Dish is just about to add more (with the capacity for 50 new HD channels-- although, that will be a long time in coming) due to a new satellite launch and new oval, triple LNB Super Dish.

Hmmm... it'll be interesting to see what happens to DirecTV after Murdoch gets his grubby claws into it, and how Charlie's Dish Network will respond.

Dan

John Richard

Auditioning
I ordered my Sat C kit yesterday for free ($8 shipping). I did have to commit to another year of my current service but that was no big deal since I just got a DirecTivo a couple of months ago and had already committed to another 12 months then. My order from American Satellite had already shipped but they said that I could just get an RMA and return it for a refund.
I bought my Sat C Kit off ebay for a very reasonable price and had no problem installing it myself. This saved $$ and avoided the additional commitment to DirecTV. Just another option...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks