ESPN College Hoops - The best all around b-ball game sega has came out with

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Damien, Jan 12, 2004.

1. Damien

Damien Supporting Actor

I picked this game up around a week ago and won't be looking back at ESPN NBA for a long time.

I'll start out with the graphics, which I'll give a solid 4 out of 5. The faces, arena's, and detail pail in comparison to it's cousin in a big way. But the game makes up for that in it's presentation. There are full player introductions, adjustable camera zoom levels, and more varied and interesting cutscenes(which are not as seamless as they should be). I will say that the jumper, dunks, and passes look crisp, some of the layups and paint jumpers stll have that funny look to them. I have read that some courts are off for two years running, which is very minor considering the game includes most NCAA courts, NBA courts, and fantasy courts.

The sound is a very important ingriedient to the college game, much moreso then the NBA. Overall I find the commentary slightly better than NBA's, but it's not going to blow your socks off, and some phrases are used quite a bit. All the fight songs are present, but there quality seems a little off. Each sound is solid, but Sega doesn't have the sound organized, so certain songs that should go off after a point is scored keep playing during the next possesion, etc...One huge thing this game has over EA's is the PA guy will say the name of MOST players in the NCAA over the speakers if you have all the teams named.. I bought an xport for NCAA 2004 and used it immeaditely after getting this game. I also just realized it was this generation's dex drives, so I won't be buying memory cards for a whille.

Features List - Probably the biggest attraction to the game:

Slam Dunk contest - suprisingly fun and challenging, with lots of modes to try.

Legacy Mode -. Haven't dove in yet, but everyone says it blows EA's effort away. And certain things like full year recruiting are things EA will copy for their football game next year. With MM imo it's more predictable and fun then a draged out NBA season.

Crib Mode - It's here, and it's a nice feature to have but it seems to be something for kids.

Rivalry - Pretty good, but could and should be expanded

Gameplay - Here's what I like the best. Unlike ESPN, you can croutch on defense, the isomotion doens't net stupid charges like espn nba, you have a hook shot in the paint, and you can learn and choose 4 plays so you can start running an authentic offense. Also passing is a lot more dangerous in this game versus ESPN NBA. The computer does a better job of getting open and making room. On defense the game feels solid without excess blocks and things. A couple of hiccups exists though.

- The computer hacks too much.
    - Shooting and blocking fourls are not called enough when they are maxed out.
    - A rebounding slider would be a big help, sometimes there are a little too many offensive rebounds imo.
    - the ai doesn't make the best clock management/shot selections
    - the ai on defense can fall asleep.
    - the ai can be moronic...

But all of these things don't really take much away from the game as you will learn to adjust to most of these problems and change sliders to make them less problematic. If you like basketball you should really try this game out.

2. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

Wow, nice review.

3. Damien

Damien Supporting Actor

Thanks, but I'll warn you some as I play more I'm getting some more things, like not being able to connect online, buggy free throw shooting...so before you run out and buy it make sure you can handle the problems...renting would be wise.