ESPN Classic Replaying Fiesta Bowl, What's The Best Way To Archive?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dustin_Taylor, Jan 6, 2003.

1. Dustin_Taylor

Dustin_Taylor Stunt Coordinator

I'm a huge Buckeye fan and and ESPN Classic is rebroadcasting the Fiesta Bowl Saturday. I want to record it, but no VCR, I want to archive it with the best possible quality.

I've looked a bit at Tivo and the Panny DMR-HS2. Cost no object, I just need to get it and know how to use it by Saturday.

Thanks,

DT

2. Alex.D

Alex.D Agent

Get a ReplayTV, and use the publically available "hacks" to export the standard MPEG2 file to a computer.

You can then, if you're handy with video editing tools, such as VirtualDub, clean up the video, etc, and really make it shine.

Alternatively, if the game is broadcast in hi-def, a JVC DVHS VCR would be ideal, as it'd record the high-definition signal. And... my condolences regarding the fate of the Browns.

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I'd probably just go with a VCR. However, if I decided that a VCR would not do, I'd probably get a DVD recorder. The DVD should last the next 35 years before tOSU wins another national championship. [​IMG]

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Alex said:

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

If you can afford a Tivo or a DVD recorder, then you can afford a $60 4-head Hi-Fi VCR. Am I missing something here?

6. Dustin_Taylor

Dustin_Taylor Stunt Coordinator

Alex,
    No condolences necessary, though I've lived in Ohio my whole life, I've always been a Steelers fan. [​IMG]
    The ReplayTV option with the ability to convert to mpeg2 sounds interesting, as I've worked with Virtualdub and other programs to make VCD's and SVCDs. If doing this with ReplayTV is frowned upon by administrators here I'll refrain from going more in depth on this.
    The recordable DVD does sound easiest and it would meet my goal of having the game in a digital format.
    How would the above two options compare in quality, as I've not worked with DVD recorders before? I've done a bit of manipulating video files to get them to look the best and I wonder how well recordable DVD compares. If its pretty darn close I'll go with the simplicity of a recordable DVD.
    I really would like to avoid using a vcr because as Keith said, it may have to last another 34 years.
    [​IMG]
    ...what a game, I can't wait to watch it again...
    Dustin