ESPN Airing "Contender II"

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Chris, Jul 16, 2006.

1. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Ok, I did not watch the first season at all. But I've spent the last day watching the replay of all of Season 1 on ESPN-Classic, and I have to admit, this is pretty gripping stuff.

I am not a boxing fan. I don't really enjoy boxing. But I guess I find the storyline behind this a lot more "powerful" then most of the reality TV shows. Whereas in something like Trump's show or Survivor, the contestants don't really bare a lot of personal risk, "The Contender" seems to be all about personal risk. And I don't mean to their body - though that is true. I look at these guys getting their first shot at a career they hope to make a living in, and if they perform badly, then it basically ends any shot they have of making this a career for the rest of their lives.

There is a lot of personal risk to what their life goals are; everyone, winners and losers, walk away completely changed in what their future will be. Some may go on and keep boxing, others will find themselves working as a dock worker or whatever.

I really liked the behind the scenes look at the family stories, people who were supportive; guys who felt ashamed to talk to their educated girlfriend's family because they were following a non-educated career choice.

I can get that this didn't find a mainstream network TV option, but this could be some great freaking programming for ESPN.

2. Marc L

Marc L Stunt Coordinator

My wife and I both really enjoyed season 1 of the Contender. Apparently, we were the only ones. She's not a boxing fan either, but the story lines got her. I loved the fights, before and after. I can't wait for a season 2!

3. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Cinematographer

Is ESPN Classic going to be reairing season 1 again? If so, I'll need to tape it--what an excellent, excellent series.

Can't wait for Tuesday.

4. Chris_Morris

Chris_Morris Screenwriter

Amazing first fight. I thought Micheal deserved what he got due to his arrogance. He took one sparring round and made wrong assumptions, and forgot about K-9's power and reach.

I loved that slow-down/heartbeat sound right before the deciding blow. Micheal seems like a decent enough guy, just too much arrogance too early.

5. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    I watched the first season. As a boxing fan, I was extremely disappointed at the way they produced the fight footage -- all the slow motion crap and crowd reaction shots were just boring. Why couldn't they just show the fight? it's only a few rounds, fer cryin' out loud!

I was hoping that ESPN would give it more of a sports-fan angle, but unfortunately it's the same as the first season. Overall it's a good show (and I love the theme music), but the horrible fight coverage is so anti-climactic that I don't think I'll be watching it anymore.

What a shame. They have a chance to introduce boxing to a new generation of fans, and they just don't care. The sport's destroyed itself with corruption and the fact that if you want to see a fighter that you've actually heard of, you have to buy a pay-per-view or go to a bar. On what little boxing there is on broadcast/ basic cable, you hardly ever see the same fighter twice. [​IMG]

6. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

I get this mixed up with the other boxing show (both Fox and NBC put out boxing shows last year), but "#1 Daddy" got on my nerves last season.

7. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Cinematographer

Yeah, I wasn't a big Bonsante fan either. Loved the first fight especially last night, a total underdog story and Michael's arrogance set him up for failure.

8. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Admittedly, I am absolutely NOT a boxing fan. But I like the way they choreograph the fight, to show you tight-close looks at the big "shots" delivered in a round, and cut out all the pacing around in a ring, and really get you close so you understand what they look for, and what does real damage. I find it pretty effective drama, also. I really don't want to watch 24 minutes of straight boxing (3 minute rounds * 5 = 15 + 2 min between round * 4 = 23, figure in some slough). But I like the way it's done.

I can get if they show more "fight fight" of the last episode of the season, but for a show to show method, I find this to be pretty effective. Plus, I like the tight view of the corner, and the focus on the family outside the ring, I think it humanizes the whole thing, especially for someone who isn't a fan of the sport.

I enjoyed it. I like the storylines. We'll see how it all plays out.

9. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson
    I enjoyed the first season, so I sat down to watch season 2. Saw it wasn't in HD...bailed. Damn ESPN.

10. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman

Exactly -- the show is not aimed at boxing fans. It's like watching highlight clips on SportsCenter mixed with extraneous crowd shots. More power to ya if you like it that way!

11. Dan Keefe

Dan Keefe Second Unit

Whats really compelling about this show is you cannot pick a favorite guy to root for...Initially last season I did, but then when it nears the finals...they show all these inspirational stories about the remaining fighters and you're like Damn...how can I root against that?? I ended up feeling sorry for a lot of those guys, because this seemed like a new life for a lot of them or back to hard times if they failed. That's a lot of pressure and certainly more compelling than the current lineup of boxers in teh Heavyweight division...

12. todd stone

todd stone Screenwriter

I enjoyed the slow-mo shots in season 1

13. Andres Munoz

Andres Munoz Cinematographer

I was glad Torres lost that fight. What an a-hole. His corner was going crazy at his behavior.

The best thing about this show is how they show you the boxers' relationships with their loved ones before the fight. That's how you get hooked. You really don't know who to root for because they're all likeable (most of them at least).

Good show.

14. mattCR

mattCR Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt
    This last fight looked as though it could have been ended early. It made me wonder if they told the one not to go for a knock out, to go 5 rounds, because at a certain point, about the third round, all the punches he was landing were devestating, and when we'd see a fleury back the other way they just had no power behind them.

That's a problem. I know, I know, I doubt there is anyone saying "we can't have a first round knockout" but I wonder sometimes, especially with a fight like that one. It just seems like it was a fight that was fast headed for a quick knockout.

15. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Cinematographer

I think it was mainly Andre just refusing to give up. They had fights that didn't go the full five rounds last year (twice I believe).

16. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Having watched that contender I marathon, there were definitely some knockouts. I think that this just turned into a show-boating exhibition match. It was deifnitely over after about the third round, but I think it became more about showing off his skills then anything else.

17. Andres Munoz

Andres Munoz Cinematographer

The winner of the fight (Walter?) has skills, I gotta give him that. He just needs to take his fights a little more seriously.

Sugar Ray Leonard made a comment "That's Tommy Hearns right there!" and I do have to agree. That dude did remind me of Hearns.