Espek opinions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joe Barefoot, Jul 25, 2002.

1. Joe Barefoot

Joe Barefoot Stunt Coordinator

Jun 26, 2002
    Just looking for opinions on Linn Espek speakers from those that own or have heard them. I'm currently trying out a pair which I may purchase in the near future. I've got a fair ear, but know that others on this forum are much more sophisticated than me. I realize that it's my opinion that counts, but my ear will probably change as I get used to higher end stuff (than I've had before). It would be nice to hear from some folks that are already there, or at least closer than me. [​IMG]
  2. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Nov 21, 2001
    Joe, here is my opinion. I don't own the Espek's but have heard them a few times with very good associated gear.

The Espeks are better for music than HT. I feel they are a tad laid back for HT, but they don't lose any detail. What they do lose is a little slam. They are definately not "in your face". For music, they are first rate. They are tremendously good looking and very liquid in the mids and high's with good extention down low.

One reason I would never consider this speaker for a two channel system (well, never say never, but...) is that in order to get the most out of these speakers, you need to "activate" them...meaning use a separate channel of amplification for each driver (so three channels of amplification for each speaker). If you do not use Linn amps to do this, you need to buy the "aktivator" from Linn, an active crossover that will allow you to do this. This is somewhere in the neighborhood of $600-800 per speaker. If you use Linn amps, this is built into the amps, but the Linn amps are not cheap. Either way, you need to pay a pretty penny to get the most out of this speaker. I have not heard them "active" but from what I do know and through word of mouth, active is the way to go with these's like night and day.

Knowing I don't have the money to go this route and won't in the near future, getting a pair of speakers and knowing I'm not maximizing their potential, would bug me.

They are great speakers and if I had the coin, they would be on my short list as I am a huge music lover first, HT second.
  3. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Oct 1, 2000
    I have heard them with the separate amps and they sound great. Linn makes products that allow for upgrades which is also nice. As noted in the prior post, they are not cheap, but to upgrade them also does not require getting rid of them. From what I have heard to date, with just a single amp, I actually prefer the Ninka's on a large amount of material with the upgraded base which are probably a little over $1,000 less. I have yet to hear the Ninka's with active amplification all the way around. Linn has new speakers coming out I guess to replace teh 5110s and I really can't believe what they named it, not joking, the Unik. I can just see some sales person saying these speakers are just like you - go for it. They also have a smaller sub coming out based on the Sizmik with an 8 inch driver. The best bet with an speaker is to compare it against another brand in the same price range and see which you like better and think about potential upgrades and whether the Linn is for you in that regard.