"Escape From Sobibor" which version?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Eric Huffstutler, Jul 19, 2005.

1. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler Screenwriter

Eric Huffstutler
    There are so many different versions of this great movie out there but which one should I get?

There is supposed to be a digitally remastered 143 minute version (Region 1) but haven't been sucessful finding it yet. Only non remastered washed out copies or shorter remastered versions (118-120 minutes)

Please point me to the right one, thanks!

2. Gary Palmer

Gary Palmer Stunt Coordinator

Eric, ESCAPE FROM SOBIBOR was first screened on UK TV in two parts, running 143 minutes (PAL 25fps - it may run longer if/when transferred to NTSC). This definitive version was released on VHS in the UK - I still have a copy - but the only version currently available on DVD worldwide is a shorter print, running 119 minutes. I'm more than surprised it hasn't been released on disc in the UK, but all good things come to those who wait. It's best to see this magnificent film full-length (and, therefore, full strength), so if you could possibly hold off a little longer, the complete version will make its way onto disc in due course. But if you don't want to wait, you may find copies of the shorter US DVD version on eBay.

3. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I bought this for $1 but haven't watched it yet. There's at least 2 different companies selling dollar-store editions of it right now. It was released on laserdisc previously.

4. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler Screenwriter

Eric Huffstutler
    Gary,

Actually there is a 143 minute DVD version in which I own (one of the $1 buys) released through Westlake Entertainment but the quality is awful. Colors washed out and fuzzy focus. I have a different 118 minute version which looks a 100% better in quality (richer brighter colors and sharper focus)but the first words by the narator were clipped. Would love to see the full length in a better transfer!

Eric

5. Gary Palmer

Actually there is a 143 minute DVD version in which I own (one of the $1 buys) released through Westlake Entertainment but the quality is awful.

Wow! That is a surprise!! That's the first I've heard of a legit full-length version of the movie on DVD anywhere. Pity the quality is so bad, though. Ah well, like I said earlier, it's bound to turn up in a pristine edition soon enough. Looks like you 'n' me will be first in line to buy a copy when it does! [​IMG]

6. walter o

walter o Supporting Actor

Gary,

I dont think these 1 $ label are really "legit".:wink:

7. Gary Palmer

Oh, I getcha. [​IMG]