What's new

Escape From New York SE! (1 Viewer)

Jim Bivins

Stunt Coordinator
According to Corona/Coming Attractions web site, this SE is coming out in January, and will include the complete alternate opening (as a deleted scene, I assume) as well as the famous Carpenter/Russell commentary, and a trailer...hopefully it will include more extras, perhaps a retrospective docu...hey, if The Fog gets one, EFNY DEFINATELY deserves one!

I don't know how reliable Corona's DVD reporting is, but it would seem a pattern for them, having released 2 other cult faves in January of this year, Mad Max and Buckaroo Banzai.

We shall see.
Jim

Michael*K

Screenwriter
Man, I need to have this title in my collection. Glad they'll have the alternate opening, but I hope they haven't gutted the scene of the plane flying into the building. If I recall, some time back Carpenter was quoted in a magazine article as saying the studio or distributor (can't remember which) wanted that scene excised from the film, in light of the events of 9/11.

Jussi Tarvainen

Second Unit
Yeah, it was somebody's idea of a "joke".
Anyway, GREAT news if true. I never bought the original release because I just knew the commentary would find its way onto DVD eventually. :emoji_thumbsup:

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
There will be a documentary on the disc. My friend just interviewed Carpenter and emailed me that he watched a dupe of the documentary on VHS. He also confirmed the opening scene news. I'll post again when I hear more.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Wow, makes me very happy to hear this news Mark
This makes up in the mean time with The Fog coming next month and the They Live SE R2 in october
:D

stephen^wilson

Stunt Coordinator
I have been waiting patiently for news of this release.It's now at the top of my must buy list.I just hope paramount someday decides to do a special edition of Escape From L.A.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Escape From New York is my all time favorite movie. I owned it on VHS and now on DVD. Actually the VHS version is better in that it had an interview with John Carpenter that discussed the changes made to the movie. It even included the cutting room scenes (including the bank robbery scene in San Francisco that gets Snake arrested).

Judging by what Carpenter said in that interview, I would suspect they include the scene in the movie itself, and not on a deleted scenes special feature because Carpenter stated that that scene was intended to make the movie and was never suppose to be cut, but was only in the interests of time. They didn't want the movie to run too long and back in the 1980's, movies over 2 hours were the rarity, not the commonplace.

Also, the plane in the movie lands in a building that is NOT the WTC. Seeing as the WTC plays such a huge role in the film (where he lands the glider, where they go to try to eventually escape), I cannot imagine any kind of editing that would make the film continue to "work".

Just IMO. Now what am I going to do with my original copy now that there is a SE coming out?

Eric F

Screenwriter
Well, I just picked up the old DVD for $9 at bestbuy. Should I put it up on half.com?

How far away is the new release?

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
PLEASE let there be a new transfer!!! The oringinal disc has to be 1 of the S O F T E S T looking ones I have EVER seen! The colors are fine, black levels nice but MAN.... It practically looks Blurry!
I have to put the sharpness WAY up and the dreaded SVM to the Max on my mits 55".
PLEASE, NEW TRANSFER!!!!
:) D

Anthony Thorne

Supporting Actor
I think MGM indicated in a chat a long time ago that there would be a new transfer, along with a new 5.1 remix supervised by Alan Howarth.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
here is some juicy info that leads me to believe there is credence to this info http://www.comicon.com/newsarama/
about a new comic book set the day after the movie
and posted it originally here (http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=85565)
Hurricane Entertainment, creators of Image Comics'
Violent Messiahs announced this weekend they're teaming with film director John Carpenter, producer Debra Hill and actor
Kurt Russell to produce a new comic book series based on the
continuing adventures of their infamous anti-hero
Snake Plissken, the lead character of the 1981 cult
classic science fiction film Escape from New York and
its sequel Escape from LA.

Anthony Thorne

Supporting Actor
That sounds cool. There was already a comic series on THE THING (continuing the adventures of the Kurt Russell character for a bit) and Carpenter has gone on the record as admiring it and suggesting "That's exactly what happens next" whenever asked for a sequel. ESCAPE FROM EARTH could probably be served really well as a graphic novel. Heck, I'd buy it, even a whole series of them...

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
And the sample art definitely looks better than the one Marvel did to tie in with Escape From L.A.. I'm a bit worried by Carpenter/Hill/Russell planning on saturation-bombing us with Snake Plissken stuff - games, an animated feature, and other stuff were mentioned (although the TV series seems to have fallen apart).

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone know if this edition will have a 5.1 DD mix imported for this release? The original DVD is 2.0 only. Thanks. Also, anywhere you can pre-order this release this far away? I think I might trade my original copy into my local EB (with Swingers) as both movies are having SE's coming out and I can get LOTR for the two in a promo trade in offer with my local EB.

Thanks.

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
There is a blrb at Cinescape about the comic but at the end there is a mention of the upcoming SE DVD;

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor

Dana Fillhart

Supporting Actor
Anybody in the NJ/NY area know of a large retailer (i.e., Best Buy, Circuit City) that carries Escape From LA? I've NEVER seen it in stores, and I don't want to order online.
Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks