What's new

Escape From New York SE coming soon (1 Viewer)

ChadMcCallum

Second Unit
That's good news. I've been holding off on getting the old one for awhile now. Im glad I'll finally be able to own it. I hope Escape From L.A. gets the SE treament, complete with Carpenter and Russell commentary. I found it to be a fun movie. More fun than EFNY, imo.

Roy Batty

Second Unit
Real Name
Jose M Mendez
Coming up on DVD for Carpenter is a special edition of his 1981 futuristic thriller, "Escape From New York," which stars Russell as a rogue who must go into Manhattan, now a maximum-security prison, to rescue the kidnapped president.
"We actually found the opening 10 minutes that I had cut out of the picture, and I've scored it and we've put some sound effects on it," he said. "It will be on the DVD, along with Kurt and I commentating."
But don't believe the post-Sept. 11 rumors that the director would cut footage of the World Trade Center, whose rooftops serve as a landing pad for a glider piloted by Russell's character.
"In my movie, the Trade Center was never hit," he said. " . . . Just like everybody else, it was pretty horrible, I thought, what happened. But this is a movie that was made in 1980 -- come on."
So you see, no need to fear.
:D

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
absolutely great news. Recently bought the Fog SE & R2 They Live, so this will be another one that I will buy
:D

BarryS

Second Unit
"In my movie, the Trade Center was never hit," he said. " . . . Just like everybody else, it was pretty horrible, I thought, what happened. But this is a movie that was made in 1980 -- come on."
Well, Escape From New York takes place in 1997 doesn't it? So it makes sense then that the twin towers are there...

This is great news. I've held off buying the curren EFNY DVD even at the super-low price of $9.99. Here's hoping that this one is as good (and as cheap) as The Fog SE.

SpenceJT

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff Spencer
In case some of you did not catch it, my comment;
Great ...now watch the politically correct studio machine remove the twin towers.
was meant to be a sarcastic commentary on the state of Hollywood's over sensitivity.

While I agree it was hopefully, the most horrible event that any of us will ever have to witness, I believe that footage of the WTC in other films (Spider-man trailer, etc.) should remain as a testament to the victims & survivors.

Regards,
Spence

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
One of JC's best shows! It's a superbly atmospheric comic book action classic! I hope that care has been taken with the transfer, as allp previous VHS/Laser/DVD releases have not fully represented Dean Cundey's stunning Panavision cinematography. But seeing as MGM did a great job with The Fog, I don't think we have much to worry about.
This is a must-buy for me.
Hold on... how much January releases is that now? :D
Gordy

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Another must buy for me. I've known about this release for some time and actually traded in my old EFNY DVD towards the LOTR DVD when Electronics Boutique was running their LOTR promo.
I would love for this DVD to get a enhanced 5.1 mix, but I have read somewhere that it probably won't happen:frowning:
I have also heard they will include the Plisskin San Francisco bank robbery scene with him and brain that was edited out of the theatrical release but did show up in the special edition VHS release. Not in the actual movie mind you, but during a special Carpenter interview that aired previous to the movie on that tape.
I agree with Spence that I wouldn't put it past the studios to take out the towers, but then they would really have to alter the film as the towers play a role not as background fodder, but as an intrical part of the film itself, including the entrance into NY as well as their first planned escape with the glider.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Any word of a new transfer? The original disc has one of the S O F T E S T transfers in my collection. Way too much DNR, I think...
:) D

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Oooh, there's a slot on my John Carpenter Shelf just waitin' for this SE. This one's been rumored for a while; thanks for the update!

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Dave, it's confirmed there WILL be a completely new transfer with this version.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Actually, I have heard the opposite. There was a post a while back that fed to a link that gave info on the new release. There was NO mention in the link provided that stated of a newly created 5.1 mix. There was mention of the new extras (scenes, directors commentary, etc) but unfortunately no mention of any added 5.1 track. It would be a shame if it lacks this extra, but I won't get my hopes up.

Will K

Screenwriter
Though never officially announced, get ready for the postponement blues. According to Digital Bits, we might not get this until December 2003! Going to claw my eyeballs out now...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks