ESB Shiva Almost Ready to Go!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jack*Mains, Oct 27, 2002.

1. Jack*Mains

Jack*Mains Stunt Coordinator

Hey everyone!
    Here it is, sitting right in front of me. I finished the ESB allignment shiva with an AVA250 Amp from adire.
    The only problem is, the Shiva isnt here yet, it should come in tomorrow.
    I just have a few questions so that I can fire it up when it finally comes in.
    First, All that I have done to hold the box together is this MDF glue that is supposedly made especially for MDF, and a lot of screws. I have absolutely no doubts that this thing will not fall apart, it is probably the single most stable thing i've built in my life. Anyway, I have not used any caulking, as Im not sure what I should get, or if I even need it.
    Second, is there anything I can buy to put in between the driver and the box to make sure I get a tight seal? I was thinking of just getting the cheap rubber stuff from Home Depot, will that work?
    Lastely, I have not put any finish on the box yet and I was wondering what I could use to give it a nice, professional, black look? I dont think they sell veneer locally where I live, and Im not too keen about painting. It always turns out pretty bad. Maybe laminating it, or perhaps getting some leather and lightly wrapping it around the box? Any suggestions are welcome.
    I would like to say Thanks again to everyone who's helped me through this, and I hope you realise that it is all your fault that I am now addicted to DIY [​IMG]

2. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

The MDF will break before a plain carpenter's glue joint does. As long as you didn't split the MDF with the screws you should be fine.
    Almost any caulking should do. Its' purpose is to make sure there are no leaks. You can fire it up with out any caulking and check all the seams with a kleenex. If there are no leaks you don't have to worry about it.
    Close cell foam weather stripping tape is what a lot of us use. Cheap and very effective. You also don't have to destroy the driver to get it off the enclosure later using this stuff.
    Laminate is a good option. Jack G has a beautiful looking sub that uses a gloss black laminate (edit, found the thread: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...black+laminate). Another option that is easier than paint is the truck bed spray on liner you can buy at Walmart. Gives a similar finish to what is on the Hsu VTF3.

3. Jack*Mains

Thanks, that laminate does look good, but to be honest... it's a tad too reflective for me.
    What I would really love is something with a black ash veneer look type finish, without having to buy veneer [​IMG]
    Maybe il buy the truck bed sprap stuff you suggested, im just trying to make this sub blend in as much as possible with all the black equipment / furniture I have.
    What do you think about the leather option. I think I can buy the same stuff they use for sofas, and it looks ver similar to all of my equipment.
    Sorry that I didnt post pics, *No digital camera [​IMG] * but If it looks increaidbly good when its finished, il borrow one from a friend [​IMG]

4. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Gloss black is just one kind of laminate. Will never look as good as a nice veneer, but there are laminates that have a wood grain look to them. There are so many different laminate options it would make your head spin. Solid gloss colors, solid matte colors, ones that look like stone/marble, ones that look like wood. All sorts of other patterns.

I forget who, but there is someone here who works or owns a place that sells a lot of laminates and veneers. If he comes across this thread or someone knows who I'm talking about I'm sure he could help you out a lot.

5. Jack*Mains

I would much rather buy locally, but thanks a lot.

One FINAL thing I'd like to ask is: should I stuff the box with polyfill at all, or just leave it like it is?

6. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Line the walls if you want. No need to stuff an EBS vented shiva though.

7. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer