What's new

errors noticed in VERTIGO (1 Viewer)

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
This could be old news. I watched Vertigo tonight. It is one of my favorite movies and I really love it. There were, however, a couple of the things about the disc that bothered me. First of all, not anamorphic, but thats besides the point of my post. There were several time in the movie when I noticed a distracting error in the transfer. I first noticed it at 52m 32s. Notice Kim Novak.

Again at 1h 32m 27s.

The picture just suddenly went digitally harsh. Only for a couple of seconds, but enought to were my friends and I all went "what was that?"
Im sure everyone has expressed a re-issue of this DVD in anamorphic with DTS.

Tom Oh

Second Unit
Jeremy, your photos don't show up. I don't remember any scenes standing out, but will check when I get home. While the DVD is not anamorphic, it is still quite good. I would rebuy the anamorphic version if it came out. As for DTS, I consider it a luxury that I don't need, especially for an old film that is not heavy on the effects. While I will buy DTS version over DD if given a choice, I really don't hear that much of a difference. Anamorphic & EE free transfer is much higher priority for me.

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
The picture on my copy of "Vertigo" never went "digitally harsh" either. I've watched it several times and read an awful lot of posts about it here at HTF. This is the first describing what you're describing.

There may be a problem with your copy, or there might be a compatibility issue between the disc and your player.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
On my copy when Midge is in the car looking at Scottie's apartment, her glasses have lines across them (only her glasses), and a few seconds later as Kim Novak is driving away her head only pixilates. But these are barely even noticeable except in stop frame, and I don't know if they're on every copy or just mine.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
As for DTS, I consider it a luxury that I don't need, especially for an old film that is not heavy on the effects.
Well the theatrical rerelease was done in DTS-70mm.

I'd love to see an anamorphic version, maybe even a Criterion edition. Hey, I can dream, can't I?

Lance Rumbolt

Stunt Coordinator
I also have Vertigo and haven't noticed any of the artifacts mentioned.

If you want anamorphic get a multi region player and import the region 2 version.

Lance

John CW

Supporting Actor
I have the UK version and I'm pretty sure those errors don't appear (it's anamorphic for one! :)) It may not help you but it may help others who are thinking of buying it.
Also have you spotted the unmentioned "alternative ending" included on the DVD? I only just found it!!
If you go to the Documentary chapter menu and keep going to the end, there's a few "chapters" that go past the end of the documentary... one of them is the "European" ending (I think) where Hitchcock was censored or something.
Plus there's other stuff there too! Wow!
~ John

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
Pixelation can simply be a spot of dirt or scratch on the disc. It is rare that one particular disc is bad and all the others aren't (except if they were pressed at different facilities). Vertigo was remastered (by Mr. Harrris) from the best available elements. It isn't perfect but is the best we'll probably ever get as many of the original elements dont excist.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks