1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Error When Trying To Delete Something On Comp...HELP!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AbelM, Apr 27, 2002.

1. AbelM

AbelM Second Unit

Ok, I have a Word document and a Template on my desktop, but each time I try and delete them it says "Make sure the disk isn't full or write-protected and that the file is not in current use".

What the hell? It isn't in use, and what does ths first one mean? HELP!

2. Derrick_Ellis

Derrick_Ellis Stunt Coordinator

You will get that error message when a file is marked 'Read-Only'. Usually system files are flagged as Read-Only to keep users from deleting them on accident. Also files copied from a CD-ROM are automatically brought over as Read-Only since CD-ROMs (Not CD-RWs) are only readable. The file in use error message means that another application is currently using the file and you can't modify it. This is to keep the file from becoming corrupt or the application from crashing because the file is suddenly gone. Right click on the file in explorer and go to properties. Under 'Attributes', make sure the check box next to 'Read-Only' is unchecked.

3. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    What Derrick said. Also if the Template is the "Normal.dot" default template, and you have Word open (even with a blank document) when you try to delete it - the file will be in use. Normal.dot is used to generate your default blank document (font, other preferences) so it is "in use" whenever the program is open. You can overwrite from within Word, by saving changes to Normal.dot, but I don't think you can change or delete it from outside the program if it is running.

Regards,

Joe

4. AbelM

AbelM Second Unit

Ok, thanx guys', I unchecked Read-Only (although it was already saved with it as read-only) and tried to delete both of them, yet it still says the same thing...Jesus, I can't even erase things on my DESKTOP, HELP!

5. AbelM

AbelM Second Unit

Come on guys, I know I wasn't the only peron who ahs ever done this, HELP!

6. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Hmm, you sure you're not running Word in the background?

Maybe close your mail program, especially if it is Outlook, which uses Word as the email editor. You running any other applications which require the use of Word?

Close as many apps and tray icon programs as you can, and seeif you can delete them.

Also, what operating system are you using? XP? 98? Me?

7. JustinW

JustinW Extra

Have you tried deleting them from a DOS prompt.

8. AbelM

AbelM Second Unit

"Also, what operating system are you using? XP? 98? Me?"

98'

"Have you tried deleting them from a DOS prompt."

No, how do you do this?

And yes I am positive nothing is open, not even the webpages for internet, and it won't delete it...HELP!

9. Jesse Leonard

Jesse Leonard Second Unit

Here are two things to try:

Clear your recently used documents (Start-->Settings--->Task Bar & Start Menu-->Advanced Tab-->Clear recently used documents button). I have had problems deleting a file that was in here. Weird, but I've seen it.

Also, highlight the file you want to delete and then hit shift-delete (this will delete the file without placing it in your trashcan.)

10. JustinW

JustinW Extra