What's new

Error When Trying To Delete Something On Comp...HELP! (1 Viewer)

AbelM

Second Unit
Ok, I have a Word document and a Template on my desktop, but each time I try and delete them it says "Make sure the disk isn't full or write-protected and that the file is not in current use".

What the hell? It isn't in use, and what does ths first one mean? HELP!

Derrick_Ellis

Stunt Coordinator
You will get that error message when a file is marked 'Read-Only'. Usually system files are flagged as Read-Only to keep users from deleting them on accident. Also files copied from a CD-ROM are automatically brought over as Read-Only since CD-ROMs (Not CD-RWs) are only readable. The file in use error message means that another application is currently using the file and you can't modify it. This is to keep the file from becoming corrupt or the application from crashing because the file is suddenly gone. Right click on the file in explorer and go to properties. Under 'Attributes', make sure the check box next to 'Read-Only' is unchecked.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
What Derrick said. Also if the Template is the "Normal.dot" default template, and you have Word open (even with a blank document) when you try to delete it - the file will be in use. Normal.dot is used to generate your default blank document (font, other preferences) so it is "in use" whenever the program is open. You can overwrite from within Word, by saving changes to Normal.dot, but I don't think you can change or delete it from outside the program if it is running.

Regards,

Joe

AbelM

Second Unit
Ok, thanx guys', I unchecked Read-Only (although it was already saved with it as read-only) and tried to delete both of them, yet it still says the same thing...Jesus, I can't even erase things on my DESKTOP, HELP!

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Hmm, you sure you're not running Word in the background?

Maybe close your mail program, especially if it is Outlook, which uses Word as the email editor. You running any other applications which require the use of Word?

Close as many apps and tray icon programs as you can, and seeif you can delete them.

Also, what operating system are you using? XP? 98? Me?

AbelM

Second Unit
"Also, what operating system are you using? XP? 98? Me?"

98'

"Have you tried deleting them from a DOS prompt."

No, how do you do this?

And yes I am positive nothing is open, not even the webpages for internet, and it won't delete it...HELP!

Jesse Leonard

Second Unit
Here are two things to try:

Clear your recently used documents (Start-->Settings--->Task Bar & Start Menu-->Advanced Tab-->Clear recently used documents button). I have had problems deleting a file that was in here. Weird, but I've seen it.

Also, highlight the file you want to delete and then hit shift-delete (this will delete the file without placing it in your trashcan.)

JustinW

Grip
"Have you tried deleting them from a DOS prompt." No, how do you do this?
Click on Start, select Run, type in the the open box "command" without the quotations, in Windows 98 this should give you a DOS prompt which is already in C:Windowsdesktop> you need to type "del Filename.ext" without the qoutations where filename is the name of the file your deleting and ext is the extension of the file, best way to find out the name is to type "dir" from the prompt first to get a list of everything on the desktop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wernerhans57